Every family should have this recipe in their baking arsenal.
It’s not the prettiest looking cake, but it tastes gorgeous and it’s so so easy to make.
How easy? Well, last night I fancied making a cake at 10pm. As you do.
The husband thought I was mad (“making a cake now? Isn’t it a bit late?”)
I kind of did a shoulders sink and an ‘oh’ mid pouring the flour into the bowl and then stopped. And he was all ‘no no, carry on, best get a move on or it won’t be ready to eat tonight . . . ‘
Well, I’d measured out the ingredients, mixed the batter and had it baking in 10 minutes flat.
I may have even had a slice with a cuppa before bedtime, but don’t tell anyone . . .
It’s one of those throw everything into the bowl, mix and add to the cake tin recipes.
I even used a cake tin liner so I could whip it straight out of the tin once it was ready!
Crunchy Topped Lemon Cake
175g caster sugar
175g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
100g soft butter
2 large eggs
4 – 5 tbsps milk
finely grated rind of 1 lemon
For the topping
Juice of 1 lemon
1. Base line and lightly grease an 18cm cake tin. Or use a cake liner like me and save any effort!
2. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees c (Gas 4).
3. As I said before, add all the ingredients to a large bowl and beat well for a couple of minutes to ensure everything is well incorporated. Make sure you beat well or it will sink.
4. Turn the mixture out into the cake tin and bake for 35-40 minutes (or until the cake has shrunk from the sides).
5. To make up the topping just mix the sugar (you can use caster or granulated) with the lemon juice (be sure to remove any pips!). Poke a few holes in the top of your cake with a skewer and then spoon or pour the sugar mix over the hot cake. I find it best to pour and tilt the tin around to stop everything pooling in the centre of the cake.
6. Leave in the tin until cold and then remove. And then eat.