Book recommendations for boys

reading

My son the bookworm plans to spend a great proportion of his summer holidays reading apparently.
Fitting it in around sport camps and visiting friends and days out and days in and various other things they have requested.
But book reading still remains a favourite. Which I am DELIGHTED about, obviously!

We’re currently reading the Hunger Games trilogy together (just starting book two) and we’ve made our way through The Hobbit, Private Peaceful, How to Train Your Dragon and Middle School the Worst Years of My Life.

He’s read all the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, the Alex Rider series, lots of Horrible Histories, The Spiderwick Chronicles and everything David Walliams has written.
And he’s just picked up the book pictured above, PsiCo, about a boy with psychokinetic powers (which given his love of the X-Men is hopefully going to be right up his street).

But he’s going to run out soon, so I’m asking you dear reader, do you have any recommendations for him? What are the best books for boys?

Books for boys

This entry was posted in Books. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Book recommendations for boys

1. JohnC says:

Mortal Engines series by Phillip Reeve – my eldest lad is also 10 and is on the 1st in this series at the moment. I've read them and loved them.

The Percy Jackson series – Lightning Thief and the rest.

Probably a bit young for Lord of the Rings but you never know (I read it aged 11)

Chronicles of Narnia? The Midnight Folk / The Box of Delights (hard language in those 2 but super stories)

Andy Stanton's "Mr Gum" series has my lad in stitches – they're quick reads and they're very, very silly.

He's not far from Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Discworld territory, give him a couple of years…

2. MummaG says:

So far the teen princess and I have read the first of the "Noughts & Crosses" series by Malorie Blackman and loved it.
    My recent post Door – The gallery

3. Bryony says:

What sort of age is His Dark Materials for? I have just ordered The Spirwick Chronicles to take on holiday and read with my 9 yr old, ill let you know what we think.

4. Bryony says:

Spiderwick even

5. Emmy says:

I love Dan's reading pile, it looks identical to my almost 9 year olds 🙂

Our favourite series' include:

Tom Gates by Liz Pichon

Stich Head by Guy Bass

Itch by Simon Mayo

Raven Mysteries by Marcus Sedgwick

Scream Street by Tommy Donbavand

But we're also hitting the classics such as Wind in the Willows, Treasure Island, Famous Five, Roald Dahl. There's also a good Usbourne series called Classics Retold which brings more adult stories such as Frankenstein, Dracula & Moby Dick to a more child friendly level.

6. Grania says:

What about Tom Sawyer and co, Skulduggery Pleasant, the "Gods of Manhattan" series by Scott Mebus (also has a big broth/Little Sis angle), my son who is also a big brother loved those, Emil and the Detectives (if there is a good English translation), somethings by Rosemary Sutcliffe (Eagle of the Ninth & Co, ) and the Tripods series by John Christopher (a bGit like Panem but much older .-))

7. sarahmo3w says:

Has he read the Mr Gum series? They are in the age 5-8 section, but they are properly HILARIOUS and kids from age 6 right up to teenagers find them funny (I do too!). Skulduggery Pleasant worth a go too.
    My recent post Silent Sunday 4.8.13