The Photo Gallery: Youth

Youth The Photo Gallery: Youth

Yes, yes, go on, laugh it up.
The year is 1988. I was a regular at The Dome nightclub in Birmingham.
My drink of choice was probably some alcopop like a bottle of Hooch and curly perms were ‘in’. As were gypsy tops and ra-ra skirts. And hair flowers, judging by this photo.

I bought and owned every copy of Smash Hits and poured over the song lyrics, so that when I recorded the Top 40 on my cassette player I’d be able to sing along to the latest Depeche Mode or Duran Duran track. Who was at Number 1 in the singles chart mattered. I tuned in to Bruno Brookes on Radio 1 every Sunday to listen to the top 40 rundown.

Partying like it was 1999 seemed a lifetime away and any photos I took (for even back then I was snapping pictures of everything!) were on film and sent to Boots to develop.

I didn’t appreciate my youth or my looks or my slender shoulders. I was shy and awkward and lacking in confidence.
Not long after I went to journalism college and my life took another leap forward, but I look back on this photo with such fond memories of friendship and fun and growing up.
And I hope that even though the world has changed and some of these simple pleasures are no longer around, my own girl will have these sorts of memories from her youth.

This post is for for week 138 of The Gallery: Youth.
If you’re new and want to know what The Gallery is, go and read here, and then come right back and join in!

You can also pick up The Gallery code if you want too.
And you could also subscribe to this blog to make sure you never miss a theme; they are posted here every Friday.

And don’t forget, this blog URL has changed so if you want to grab a new Gallery Code go visit here.

This entry was posted in Me, The Gallery and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to The Photo Gallery: Youth

1. Phwoar check you out!! :) Ahhh Smash hits….and cassettes…..good times….
    My recent post Youth

2. Liz says:

Hah how funny you as a blonde – suits you though! x
    My recent post The One with the wrinkle-free skin

3. Nickie says:

That picture of you is CLASSIC Ms C. I love it!
    My recent post 25 FANTASTIC Energy Saving Tips

4. SusanKMann says:

Love it. I picked some pictures from around about then too. It's lovely to look back x
    My recent post The Gallery 138 – Youth

5. Mama Owl says:

What a brilliant photo, ah the 80s!
    My recent post Date Night

6. louisejedwards says:

Great photo, – you totally don't appreciate your looks and figure when you are young do you, which is such a shame! x
    My recent post Sherwood Pines: Simply a great day out!

7. saveeverystep says:

A. Maze. Ing. Not least the fact that I was also born and raised in Brum (Northfield) so was not a stranger to The Dome, Edwards no.7 and Snobs!!! Those were the days eh?
    My recent post The Big Sex Talk (‘Life’s a Journey’ nostalgia Link-Up, week 59)

8. singlemarriedmum says:

oh curly perms! Those were the days..
    Fab photo and happy times x
    My recent post The Gallery – Youth

9. Aw, cute! Strange to think that my daughters might have very different memories from mine as I grew up in France, although the feelings are still pretty much the same :)

10. Loving the big hair! I vaguely remember cassettes and listening to Jason donovan and Kylie, ace of base etc as a child. Born in the 80s baby
    x

11. sarahmo3w says:

This photo is awesome! It is so much of its time and reveals a big part of what youth should be about – clubbing, staying out late, dancing and having a good time :)
    My recent post The Gallery: Youth

12. becky says:

I love your post and we had parrallel lives!! bet you had big silver hoop earring s too!
    My recent post Pirate Party – Craft Party (a party in a box)

I think you look fab! I remember drinking Hooch in the park at the age of 13. Memories eh?

14. Sian says:

I'm off to find a suitably matchy perm pic!
    My recent post Northern Line at Home Barn

15. Lous Lake Views says:

Fabulous photo that has sparked a million of my own memories of that time. You are right it was simpler for us that it is for our kids
    My recent post The Gallery -Youth

16. Christine says:

Oh I loved the 80s! So many wonderful memories and many quite similar to yours :)
    My recent post The Gallery – In my youth

17. Jaime Oliver says:

what fantastic blast from the past! x
    My recent post My Youth

18. fivegoblogging says:

Check you out! I wasn't brave enough to post a photo of myself from those days!
    My recent post Youth

19. Great pic. I too remember poring over Smash Hits and taping the Top 40. I still have some of those tapes somewhere – wonder if they work, but I'd have to find a cassette player first!
    My recent post Moving in reverse

20. Expat Mum says:

Ah those perms. And don't forget the sunbed tans!
    My recent post What to Expect if You're in an American Wedding

21. err…SWIT SWOO!!!
    My recent post these days

22. I can see nothing wrong with either the haircut or the outfit. xx
    My recent post Youth – Green

23. OneDad3Girls says:

Stunning outfit.

I remember taping the Top 40 and I remember Hooch. It was ok to drink it as it was orange
    My recent post The Gallery – Youth

24. Siobhan C says:

I'm SO with you here! I remember ALL of what you wrote (esp Bruno Brookes, but his name had escaped me!) and recording stuff on cassette. Your photo reminds me of my holiday to Greece after my 0 levels with my pals, and can you believe we had shoulder pads then?!!! But hey, could I find a photo of me like this in digital version?!! I must try and do that sometime. Glad at last to start joining this fab Gallery!
    My recent post The Gallery – ‘Youth’

25. Lovely photos! I was born in the 80s so I was brought up with 80s music!
    My recent post The Gallery: Youth

26. Mammasaurus says:

digging the perm m'lady! Lemon hooch was my tipple of choice back in the day – that and a bit of Haddaway! Oh the shame….
    My recent post Photographs of skateboarding teenagers

27. Mrs TeePot says:

Great photo, you both look really cool!
    My recent post Nexus 7

28. Emma says:

I love that photo, and my younger self would have been so jealous of the hair. I had a perm but it was not a good one!
    My recent post The Gallery – Youth

29. Look at you foxy kady! Oh it all brings back so many memories, smash hits and the old 'now thats what I call music' series of records. The good old days!

Mich x
    My recent post Review: Butlins Minehead – Silver Bungalow

30. I remember the Dome! Lots of fun Student Monday nights there a few years later! Great photo!

31. Pingback: The Gallery : Youth | Bad Fiction

32. Matt Wilkinson says:

smash hits…. cassette tapes…!!! Boy does that take me back!