It’s been four months now since I had laser eye surgery courtesy of Optical Express.
I’ve had all the check ups, I’ve been discharged and sent off into the world as one of the Sighted.
I’ve put my glasses into storage, I’ve filed away my contact lenses (ie threw them in the bin. With a flourish).
So how do I feel about it all, now the dust has settled so to speak? Now I’ve lived with it for a while.
What are the benefits of not having to wear glasses/lenses any more?
- I no longer get that giant red welt across the bridge of my nose. Attractive. Also very difficult to cover up with even the thickest make up without looking freakish.
- Every time I came in from the rain and stepped into a warm room/shop, I’d need a windscreen wiper and de-mister to clear the mist that fogged them up. Hateful.
- I can now see to put my make up on and not have to stand one inch from the mirror to ensure I don’t mascara my eyeball.
- Hats look waaaaay cooler.
- I no longer wake up in the middle of the night and have a mild panic because I think my dressing gown on the back of the door is a bear.
- No longer having to wear contact lenses means when I’m tired, I never get that ‘Lens Spot Welded to the Eyeball’ sensation.
- Or the ‘Bodge Around in Your Eye to get the Lens Out, when the Lens Isn’t Actually In There’. I know, right?
- No longer having to listen to my husband do his smug “how the hell can you see out of those lenses – they’re filthy. Don’t you clean them?” YOU try keeping them clean when you’ve got two kids smearing their fingers all over your glasses, ‘trying them on’ and using them to make dolly look ‘like a nerd’.
- When travelling, my toiletries bag no longer bulges at the seams with eye wash, lens cleaner, distilled water. And spares of each of these.
- Being called Gazerbeam* by friends.
Saying goodbye to my glasses was actually like saying goodbye to an old friend, so they haven’t gone far. Tucked up in their case in my bedside draw to remind me of the YEARS I dedicated to them.
But having laser eye surgery with Optical Express has been a – forgive the pun – a real eye opening. I am a laser eye surgery bore, it’s official.
* Gazerbeam: Superhero character from the Pixar movie The Incredibles. He could generate energy blasts from his eyes. Please note; I can’t.