Wordless Wednesday: Like mother like daughter

plaque1

In these days of rampaging materialism and children demanding mobile phones by the time they’ve made their first friendship group at the age of 6, it’s heartening to see that some parents still ‘get’ what it means to give a meaningful birthday gift.

My daughter received this handmade plaque on her 4th birthday from her good friends Heather and Lola and it has pride of place in her bedroom.

On the day of her birthday, Mia flat refused a birthday cake and candles and forbade any of us from singing Happy Birthday.
I had to do a ‘most serious promise’.

She eventually relented and let us buy a giant cup cake and her brother could blow out the candles.
Because really, all she wanted to do on her big day was bury her face in fondant icing – and what girl doesn’t crave that?

icing
See more of my Wordless Wednesdays or visit 5 Minutes for Mum for entries from around the world.

This entry was posted in Birthdays, Dan & Mia. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Wordless Wednesday: Like mother like daughter

1. joanne says:

How heartening – a great gift I agree. Nice pic of Mia Tara – she's lovely.

2. MaternalTales says:

She really is very, very cute. And yes, beautiful gift – I might just have to steal it for a few pressies in the future!

3. Kool Aid says:

I love, love, love that plaque – so cute!

4. What a cutie! I like the plaque a lot too.

5. Danielle says:

What a great gift! I bet they had so much fun making it for their special friend.

6. Secret Mom Thoughts says:

Cool plague. She is a cutie!

7. JULIA says:

Gorgeous present and Mia too.

8. Lawyer Mom says:

Homemade is always best (unless it's my home cooking).

9. My daughter recently went to a 6th birthday party, and the invitation said "No gifts please, Tanya wants to collect non-perishable food for the local "Food for Kids" program instead". Her mum said that Tanya had been to a donations party herself, and liked the idea (with a little sweetener from them!) I thought it was a fabulous idea – so long as it's not enforced on the child unkindly – and Tanya seemed to be genuinely enjoying collecting the food parcels for a good cause.

And I'm sure she got fondant icing too!