The reason daytime TV is banned in this house

Mia started a new pre-school this week.
It’s attached to her brother’s ‘big’ school and she is chuffed to bits.

That isn’t to say we didn’t have a little wobble on the first day when she clung to my leg like a little koala bear in bright pink Kicker boots (more on these another day) and turned in to this totally alien shy, clingy thing.
It only lasted a day.

To make her feel more at home the teacher introduced her to a little boy in her class.
The teacher was encouraging the cute little cherub to share his likes and dislikes to coax Mia out of her shell, but he was having none of it.

Finally the teacher tried: “What’s the TV show you really like Jacob? The one that’s a quiz show? You know the one we said we’d try to make a game of here at school? What was the name of it Jacob?”
Jacob, without missing a beat: “The Jeremy Kyle Show.” (For American readers, it’s probably the equivalent of Jerry Springer).

The teacher looked like she’d just been slapped in the face with a wet flannel and I had to suck in my cheeks to ensure a loud “BWAAHAA HAA” didn’t escape.

I’m no expert, but I’m guessing that’s not the kind of audience the show’s producers were pitching at. I hope.

This entry was posted in Family Life, School. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to The reason daytime TV is banned in this house

1. Dave says:

That's Chavtastic!
    LMAO. That poor teacher.

2. Julia says:

Oh My God, poor kid. How can parents let a child watch this rubbish?
    Books, books, books, pencils, paper. That's what kids need.
    Sorry to say that but the teacher should not be encouraging kids to watch TV either.
    Everything in moderation is fine but day time TV is crossing the line in my opinion.
    Hope your little one enjoys her class though.

3. LMAO. Children do say the funniest things. Oh, and we have silver Kickers. Wouldn't recommend them as the colour started coming off after the first wear. Cute though.

4. Actually, when I took dudelet to his first day at pre-school, I was the one who burst into tears. I was too big to cling onto his leg, though.

5. @CK_Lunchbox says:

I'd like to see the teacher's version of the show. Do the kids get to throw chairs?

6. expat mum says:

God knows what my 6 year old comes out with. He has two teenage siblings and even though they know not to watch inappropriate stuff when he's around, the fact that he knows who won the America's Top Model competition for the last three series is a bit much!

7. And the bit you didn't tell us? The bit where Mia comes right out of her shell, and says "oh yes, that's my mum's FAVOURITE, we just LOVE watching that together", and ran off happily with Jacob. No?

8. Mwa says:

Ouch. That's just skanky.

9. Brilliant ! next episode "My reception unit friend is the playground bike and we're here to ask her to stop" ….erm no well maybe not then!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. ThatGirl39 says:

Eekk J Kyle..! I had to not watch him when I was on maternity leave.. it made my skin crawl! Have an award for you at mine lovely blog friend x

11. Oh the TV that some families watch or have on all day and Mom thinks the kids don't notice???
    On my kids first day of pre-school I could not get one out of the car at all – we missed the whole thing, #1 did not want me to be there at all, and #3 said after being shy "That is not my Grandmother that is my Mom!" in a loud and obnoxious voice. The mum behind me said "Oh I thought you were the teacher"….It happened in Kindergarten for all three kids – the Grandmother mistake.
    Their Grandmother was the teacher for 2 of them for Grade 1 (32 years my mum taught first grade and all the parents demanded her – so she helped for 2 hours a day in their classrooms as each went through school!)

12. Still chuckling to myself at Iota's comment…

The things they say!

13. Liz@Violetposy says:

LOL! Oh bless him! Glad your girl is settling in well 🙂

14. vodkamom says:

I'm sure that's not the WORST she will hear!!

And frankly, he just provided great material for her family picnic!!!

And I'm pretty sure that's not the worst you've heard in all your years as a teacher!

16. Hahahaha. Kudos to you for not laughing! Man, what self control you must have! That's so hilarious haha.

17. I can't believe he said that.. OMG! Poor you and teacher, poor Mia (she didn't know what it was did she?- aw don't hit me!)

There's a prize for you over at mine
    BNM

18. vered says:

So, daytime TV in the UK is just as bad as here in the US, huh?

oh it is Vered, especially this particular show!

I pretty sure that's not the worst you've ever heard either VodkaMom being a teacher of so many years. You must have books worth of those sorts of quotes!

Iota speaks with forked tongue

And yet no one teaches us any way of dealing with these things at parenting school. Either that or I totally missed that session

You are too kind and sparkly. I'm there . . .

Tsk. Iota how could you insinuate such a thing. Of course I have had to watch Jeremy Kyle once to know how truly awful it is but really that was all I could take.
    I think it involved two women scrapping on the stage over some guy with no front teeth. Just at a guess . . .

25. Lawyer Mom says:

Because I'm peculiar, all I can wonder about now is, what was the game show she was hoping old Jeremy would bring up? What show on earth was she hoping for?

26. Jo Beaufoix says:

I would have laughed, you are a better person than me hon. But I do feel very sorry for that child.

27. Kool Aid says:

Here, I'll laugh for you because THAT was funny!

BWAHAHAHAHA