How do I explain this to the grandmas?

Have you noticed how children make up the strangest games?
Like when you buy them a vet set and they use it to dig up the garden.
Or when they use a doll’s pushchair to wheel a pile of books around the house.
Another favourite is using their duvets to turn them into caterpillars and creep around the house under them.
I’ve pretty much seen it all.

However, today Daniel and Mia are chasing each other around the house.
Or Mia is chasing/shuffling around the house after Dan: with her pants around her ankles, her skirt lifted up to her shoulders and she’s shouting “Siiiiimon! Siiiiimon!” in a monotone, zombie voice.

What the?

“Who is Simon?” I ask both of them and am greeted with a blank stare like, you know, I’m the mad one.
I watch her start the cycle again, shuffling after him, giggling and shouting “Siiiimon! Siiiimon!”.
Really, I have no clue as to what this newly invented game is. I’m not sure I want to know.

“What are you playing guys?” My mind is boggling
“We’re playing Doctor Who.”
Hmmm, is that supposed to be an explanation?
“Doctor Who?”
Tuts from both of them.
“Mia is a Cyberman and I’m The Doctor and she’s trying to capture me. But it’s quite funny mummy, because she can’t really say Cyberman properly so she’s saying ‘Simon’.”

Sure the wrong word is funny, but errr hello? Which version of the TV show have you been watching Mia? I’m pretty sure no killer robotic Cyberman has pursued their prey with a bare bottom on show!

This entry was posted in Dan & Mia, Family Life. Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to How do I explain this to the grandmas?

1. LOL! Who knows what goes on in their little brains!

My son has a thousand toys but chooses to play with coat hangers pretending they're dinosaurs.

I give up!

2. CK Lunchbox says:

Funny! My sisters had a game they named "pinchy butts." My stepdaughers have a little something they like to call "fart water." On both accounts, you can form your own guess as to what these games entail. I however, prefer to be left in the dark.

3. DadWhoWrites says:

Dudelet (who really is a fanatic – his teacher once wearily noted his habit of pretty reciting the whole of particularly favourite episodes) has a radio controlled Dalek he's been now to chase his sister around with (much to her amusement, thankfully). I don't think bottoms have ever come into it, so far. He did go through a phase of "deleting" visitors which was a little embarassing.

4. nota bene says:

I'm going to have to watch Dr Who now…I must have missed something!

5. Vered says:

Yup, that one would be pretty hard to explain. 🙂

6. Liz@Violetposy says:

Psml!!! Your children are genius! But your right grannies are not going to get it 😉

7. Potty Mummy says:

I think this sort of thing must be part of some 'self-expression' programme in nursery. Boy #2 does the pants round the ankles stunt too (although not pretending to be a cyberman, I must admit). I'm just hoping he grows out of it before school starts…

8. Jo Beaufoix says:

Hee hee, I don't remember seeing that episode and I think I would have. Hilarious. 😀

9. Brenda says:

How funny, I love it when kids express themselves this way

Cough splutter . . . you mean you don't plan your whole weekend around episodes of The Doctor?
    Sheesh, must be just me then!

Phew, relieved to hear someone else's child runs around with their pants around their ankles. I didn't want anyone thinking she copied it from anyone in this house . . .

12. Kimberly says:

Ha, that's funny! I love the way kids think!

13. Turf Dad says:

I've seen Monty Python, Benny Hill, and The Avengers, never Doctor Who.

14. kim says:

This is priceless. I have fond memories of playing Daleks with my sister when we were kids. And not being allowed to watch the A-Team when we were farmed out to my Grandparents house… Times haven't changed all that much, haha.