duo1

This is how I find my two most mornings when they are lounging about on our bed.
It fair makes my heart swell.

Mia utterly adores her older brother. Dan looks on his little sister as his own little charge.
They love each other, they hate each other, they can never be separated for too long.
They lie like this when they’re watching TV together and every now and again she will glance up at him to check he’s OK and maybe hug him just a little tighter.
He will acknowledge her little sign of love by raising his hand ever so slightly and patting her on the back.

As a parent, it really is the most adorable moment and I stand on the edge of this little scene, a smile on my face and a glow in my heart.

duo-scrapping

Of course, seconds later they are wrestling and using clothes, skin, hair to grab on to, to go in for the kill.
One of them will end up crying, the other will blame everyone and everything and someone will stomp off and sulk in their room.
The peace is shattered and tensions are high.

But I’ve seen how they really feel about each other and it fills me with hope that this is the life they are carving out for their future.
A future which, like every parent (and especially Jo Bo who also wrote about this with her two girls), I hope means they will always be there for each other.

And it makes me smile. x

This entry was posted in Dan & Mia, Family Life. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to 2 minutes after this photo was taken they were tearing chunks out of each other . . .

1. confusedhomemaker says:

I wish I could catch the moments when they are sweet with each other, because they don't seem to last as long as I would like. But it's there & it will grow more with time & nurturing.

2. Lovely picture, and it sounds familiar. I have a younger sister, who I used to tear shapes out of, and was truly horrible to at times, we are good mates now though.

3. Josie says:

Oh oh this makes me want to have another baby RIGHT NOW so that my Kai can have a relationship like this. Lovely lovely lovely. Your post made my heart give a little 'oumph'.

Funnily enough my younger brother and I are just rediscovering our relationship with each other. We were very close as children, barely spoke as teenagers, and are now closer than I think we've ever been. Proper best friends who phone each other up and have silly 'in' jokes and make each other laugh till we nearly wee our pants. It's been a real treasure 'finding' him again. But just goes to show that what we had was always there really, we just lost sight of it for a while.

I hope this is just the beginning of a long wonderful relationship for your special two. Much love to them both xx

4. I had to laugh at your title. What a sweet picture!

5. Vered says:

It makes me smile too. 🙂 My oldest often says that her younger sister is "so annoying," but admits to deeply caring about her safety and well-being.

6. Turf Dad says:

My son and youngest daughter are like that. You know about my oldest, she is the old man out. It is very sad.

How brilliant Josie. That gives me real hope as I know life can get in the way and you never really know what direction their lives will take.__Thanks so much for coming over and commenting and using the word 'oumph'!

The important thing is that it's there. Photographing it doesn't really matter and the only reason I managed it is because I have a camera constantly about my person!

It is sad and you obviously feel it as a parent too.
    I have a brother who I was never close too. No idea why, we just weren't on the same page and I feel I missed out not having a 'best friend' at home at all times.
    Which, I suppose, is why it really makes me happy to see those two so close.

10. Karen says:

Awww, look at them, lovely photo 🙂 I used to stress about my eldest two as they tore chunks out of each other and declared "I hate you!" but now everyone has there place in the small tribe that is our family and I rarely see chunk tearing and a lot more giggling and hugging, lovely isn't it?

Clearly your sister got all the good genes if she was able to forgive you for all those years of you being a Horrid Henry.
    How could you, SPD?

12. Katie Lane says:

Gotta love kids 🙂

13. Kimberly says:

So cute!

14. Kool Aid says:

lovely photo! I can only hope my two will have moments like that. They don't often get too lovey-dovey with each other but there are times when they're playing quietly together and not screaming and carrying on. I'll take those moments any time.

15. My brother hated me from the day I was born. Never got over his jealousy. He was the only child and wanted to stay that way.

I hope your two lovelies continue on like this as well. They are precious.

16. DadWhoWrites says:

Not dissimilar to the occasional pose my two strike, though it too easily slips into rage and fury!

17. Pippa says:

That is just so cute, I wrote a post about my sister just the other day, but it needs editing before the world can read it lol. 🙂

18. @CK_Lunchbox says:

Those times and watching kids sleep are two of my favorite moments. My youngest son is like this with the oldest brother–walks up to him at random moments and gives him a big hug…then they start punching one another.

19. Tim says:

And Mia is a real mini-me Tara, isn't she? So, who do you fight with five minutes later?

20. Linda says:

Oh I know this feeling – the rush of pride, love and adoration when you think they are being so good/listening to other people tell you how "golden" they are. Then the crashing despair that accompanies the 'overtiredness' that in our house anyway, seems most likely to occur later on such a day. xx

21. Noble Savage says:

My two are just now starting to do this and it melts my heart. Great pictures, your little 'uns are gorgeous.

22. Iota says:

Someone had my 3 kids recently, and told me afterwards she'd noticed how kind they are to each other. My jaw nearly hit the floor. It was a lovely thing to hear (once I'd got over the shock), as – like you – I so hope they'll be friends for life.

23. Jo Beaufoix says:

I love this hon. I tried to comment on it from the Big Chill but it didn't happen. And ta for the link. We're so lucky to witness these moments aren't we? I love it. 😀