The day I met Kate Moss and her minions

DSC_08051

Ok, so it wasn’t actually Kate Moss per se.
But it was our Kate Moss, the cooler online, mummy blogger version (who incidentally looks nothing like an emu, so feel a little bit let down on that front).

However, at the weekend I did what many bloggers would love to do and what many others would never do even if you threatened to pluck every hair out of their head with tweezers: I met up with other bloggers.

And look. Here I am. I survived. No one tried to eat me or spirited me away.

I probably embarrassed myself slightly as when first introduced to everyone, I just went right in there for the hug.

Have you ever met up with other bloggers?

I have to admit to being slightly disappointed. No no no, stop coming at me shaking your fists. It wasn’t that Single Parent Dad was acting like a rock star, or Jo Beaufoix (Jo Bo as she now is in my mobile) and Rosie Scribble were divas or Dan at Allthatcomeswithit was embarrassing us all with his Daddy Pig impressions (it’s a British thing).

No, I feel slightly put out because we met at Drayton Manor theme park (who hosted the whole affair for us, so THANK YOU so much for that) and there were so many directions the children wanted to pull us in we never really got the chance to talk.

I got d r e n c h e d on Stormforce 10 with my 6 year old who sat there next to me holding my hand soothing: “It’s all right mummy, I’ll look after you.”

Listen son, I’ve been on Disney’s Terror Tower and lived to tell. I was there on the Corkscrew when it first opened at Alton Towers back in the 1980s and everyone thought it was the scariest ride they’d ever seen.

These days, however, I’m reduced to screaming on a ride my 6 year old thinks is tame.
That makes me feel ever so slightly old.

Anyway, it was a blast. Everyone was just lovely and are just like their online personalities (which is all testament to their writing, I guess).

My children’s favourite bit? The park has a new 4D cinema. What’s 4D you ask? I’ll leave my son to explain:
“It’s like 3D with the specs and everything, but someone sits in the audience and spits at you and rocks your chair.”

The mind boggles.

This entry was posted in Blogging, Days Out, Reviews, Travel, Travel Review. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to The day I met Kate Moss and her minions

1. Single Parent Dad says:

Your children were under strict instruction to always pull in the opposite direction to where we were headed. Tell them; good job kids the cheque is in the post.

2. Coding Mamma (Tasha) says:

Ooh, the corkscrew – I loved that one! Sounds like you had a great time, though shame there wasn't more time for talking. I went to the meetup and the Rainforest Cafe in London it was wonderful. I have met internet friends before (fandom geeky girl), but meeting other parent bloggers was by far the best. I think it's the nature of what we talk about. Fandom talk is mostly just that, whereas we share a lot lot more of who we are, so we all kind of know each other a bit already. Love the 4D description!

3. Linda says:

Hello – I also go in for the hug! Sounds like you had a brilliant time – we went to Drayton Manor a couple of weeks back and wrote about it.I've met various bloggers now – Ian included and them there lot who went to Disney – had all sort of preconceptions about what they were going to be like but we weren't out of the Virgin Lounge at the airport before I'd shared with them that my friend had a teacher called Mr Mycock and his name was Pat. We said it was like a hen night without the wedding. I'm looking forward to meeting more at Butlins in August! Good Day.

4. It was great to meet you too. Your hug at the beginning was perfect, especially as the rest of us were all stood about like lemons. It broke the ice. Shame we couldn't chat more. My daughter says that your daughter is very good at climbing up slides. (She is also very good at eating healthy food I noticed! I need to take a leaf out of your book.)I also did the corkscrew at Alton Towers when it first opened. No wonder I got that feeling we had known each other longer than 5 minutes.

5. Potty Mummy says:

Meeting other bloggers? I can recommend it – and glad that you can now too. And the 4D description; I suggest you contact the park and get them to put that on their promotional literature…

6. Metropolitan Mum says:

Tara has been handing out hugs and I missed that? Damn it. Funny that storms seem to be the recurring theme at Blogger get togethers – you remember the BMB London meeting in the rainforest cafe, where you have been missed. Love your son's explanation of 4D. Not very tempted to try it though…

7. Tammy Howard says:

I haven't met any of my bloggy buds yet, but I would love to! This sounds like it was a great day!

8. iota says:

Oh I feel so left out over here. No-one lives anywhere near me, except one, who lives 3 hours away, and I only discovered that just after I'd been in her city for a week-end, with not much prospect of being back there in the near future!I did meet up last summer with an opposite number, ie an American woman living in London, who had become a real blog friend. She was exactly as I'd imagined. Exactly. We talked like we'd known each other for ages (well, we had), spent about 4 hours together – without kids – and it was a highlight of the summer. We swore each other to secrecy though, so I can't tell you who she was (she's not blogging any more, and was always more part of the expat bloggers' scene than the mummy bloggers' one, so I'm not sure you'd even know her).

9. Sounds like you had a great day out and how fun to meet some other bloggers. And who cares if the hug was a bit OTT? Cool thing is you don't have to see them again if you don't want to.

10. Nicola says:

What a great post – and I love the fact that there are opportunities to meet other bloggers. As for the hug – oh go on, you could have done better than that and gone right for the snog. Now that would have been something to post about!

11. Lisa (Jonny's M says:

Let me try this again. . . . I didn't hit submit last time. Anyhow, I've met a couple bloggers and enjoyed it but I'd love to meet some of the "mommy bloggers" I've conversed with from time to time. Anyhow, sounds like you had fun despite all the distractions.

12. kirsty815 says:

Awww sounds like you all had a fab time!!

13. Kat says:

Meeting up with other bloggers is so much fun! I have met quite a few…and to just talk like it wasn't the first time we have met – so much fun! A bunch of us are renting a cabin for the weekend in November. And I cannot wait to go to Vegas in October.

14. vered says:

I met another blogger in real life. We had a nice dinner, but I don't think we will meet again. It's a lot like going on a first date after having a virtual relationship.

15. SandyCalico says:

So you are all real people! Who knew?!I'm looking forward to meeting some fellow bloggers, we've got a lot in common 🙂

16. Reasons to be Cheerf says:

I am glad you had a good time. I was tempted to come but I don't know any of the others online really so felt shy!

17. Jo Beaufoix says:

Oh my Bob they should so put that on the description for 4D. Brilliant. And I am also a hugger so I loved that you did that. I also hugged Dan's lovely wife but noth Ian and Dan looked very scared so I backed away. Well no, actually they did. Tsk, boys.A meet up with chat time would be brilliant thought wouldn't it? We'll do that next. And I have minions, snort. Ta for that T. 😀

18. patricia says:

I am going to meet one and maybe two real bloggers in Edinburgh around the first of August – I think it will be fine, a bit different but fine. The Chicago bloggers seem to meet for conferences and learning labs all the time…some of the Ottawa Canada folks are getting together to BBQ and get to meet some USA bloggers for a picnic…You sounded like you had a wonderful day and it was a pleasant time. I am a hugger too – we are who we are..

19. clareybabble says: