Wordless Wednesday: The chain gang

bike-11

Is there anything more rewarding than learning to ride a bike as a child?
That feeling of freedom. The wind in your hair, the sun on your face and the chance to go just that little bit faster than mummy feels comfortable with.

I learned to ride on a purple Chopper bike, with the gearstick on the crossbar and the groovy ‘L’-shaped seat.
And I still have fond memories of zipping through fields and up country lanes when I could only have been 6 or 7.

Now my children are making those memories too – and it’s just the best fun!
Except maybe the day when Mia ‘got bored’ half way around and mummy had to hunch over and wheel her bike the 15-minute walk home while she trotted alongside saying: “I just can’t be expected to ride ALL THE TIME, mummy. Sometimes I just want to walk and rest my legs.”

Hmm, quite.
That baby in the back seat gets the best deal, I’m telling you.

bike-3

So do you have childhood memories of learning to ride a bike?
And how many guys coveted a BMX at the age of 9?!

This entry was posted in Family Life, Photography. Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Wordless Wednesday: The chain gang

1. Single Parent Dad says:

I don't remember learning, but I do remember some awesome bikes I had.Like the Grifter I had, and subsequently covered its brake cables with the clips from loaves of bread. I used to turn the mud flap upside down too, so it would sound like a motorbike.Cheers for stirring that.

2. Dominique says:

The boys look so cool in their bikes. I got my boys bikes too. They still have their trainer wheels on it. I guess it will take some time for them to be able to ride without the trainers.

3. That Girl says:

I still remember the day I got ride without stabilisers! I'd come home from school for lunch and my dad took me outside after to practice. One push and I was off… felt so exciting! I also remember riding my bike with my Bf Wendy around the close, bumping up and down off the curbs and shouting at her over my shoulder "Look I can ride looking backwards". Me and the nearest lamp post became firm friends about 3 seconds later… and Wendy laughed!

4. Liz@Violet Posy says:

Oh I had a beautiful red Grifter – heavy as hell for a little girl bumping up and down curbs no handed – but I loved it!! Thanks for the memories xx

5. CompleteLee Blogger says:

They look well equipped for a nice long ride! 🙂

6. Turf Dad says:

I remember we didn't wear all that protective gear! If I had a scape, I'd just rub some dirt on it. If I needed stitches, mom would pull out a needle and thread. Then we would go back out and play more "Evel Knievel!" I'm not joking about the E.K. game. We would jump stuff with our bikes all the time, and crash like him too.

7. SandyCalico says:

How lovely :-)Reminds me of taking my cycling proficiency test, aged 9. I was so proud when I passed. I have spent the subsequent 30 years bemoaning any cyclist that doesn't follow the Highway Code!

8. Vered - MomGrind says:

I love the photos. You really captured the fun!

9. Staci says:

Great photos! My little one usually gets tired and requests to be pushed. Now that's fun.

10. Millennium Housewife says:

I remember! That freeing feeling, the kudos of no stabiliers, the rusted second hand bike beloning to my older sister that I so coveted…

11. Kat says:

I learned on a banana seated bike on an empty tennis court. I promptly lost control and skinned my knees when I realized my dad had let go of the seat.

12. Great photos! I have really happy memories of learning to ride a bike, aged 5. My daughter has just spent the last week gaining in confidence on her bike. It's lovely to be a part of that.

13. clareybabble says:

I can remember learning to ride my back in our concrete 'garden' above the shop my parents ran. I was about 5 or 6. I'm sure I had a chopper style bike too…

14. clareybabble says:

Should have read bike not back!

15. Mum Gone Mad says:

I was a horrible child and hated learning to ride. Apparantly I said I didn't want to and my dad said ok we'll leave the bike then, my reaction? I threw it in the bushes and walked off! Horrible child!

16. DCUrbanDad says:

Ah I loved my bike. I stil remember the Christmas I got it. Was a heat wave with highs in the 80s on Christmas day.

17. Iota says:

I had a bike for my birthday, which was dark and light blue, and I called it "The Bluebird", and loved it to bits.

18. A Lawyer Mom's says:

My bike was a Raleigh Sprite. I can still see it in my head. It's true that you never forget how to ride a bike . . . but my little one has forgotten how to tie his shoes. So we bought some lace-ups today; he was not pleased.

19. My first bike was a red raleigh with white seat and wheels. I still remember the feeling of freedom when I was allowed to cycle round the corner to my best friends house, alone, aged about 7. She and I used to go on all kinds of expeditions around central London, where we lived. In retrospect, my mother must have been terrified. Lovely post

20. Nota Bene says:

I wish I could remember that far back…but I do remember my Dad bringing us folding bikes from a German business trip…we were the only ones in the whole village with folding bikes…we cycled for miles and miles…I still have the scar on my elbow from falling onto gravel (Mum says it only scarred 'cos I picked it) and I remember nearly losing it when we were chased by a farmer away from his pond where we were swimming. That was in the days when it was sunny all summer and Christmases were snowy

21. Brit in Bosnia / Fra says:

I vividly remember that moment when I got it. It was the most exciting moment of my life.

22. Kelloggsville says:

I never owned a bike, used to borrow my brothers and then I got an old hand me down. Got my first bike at the age of 22 – a present from my first husband – I love it, love it, love it. What a fantastic feeling!

23. New Mummy says:

So sweet. There is an award for you at mine x

24. Maternal Tales says:

Am sure I left a comment here about a week ago! Hmmm. Silly computer. Now can't remember what I wrote although I'm sure it was wonderfully insightful and hilarious (of course)! Lovely pics…learning to ride a bike is such an important thing and it's such an achievement for a child. Renée learnt last year and she's been tearing it up ever since. Now we're just waiting for Edie's legs to be long enough!!!

25. Mom/Mum says:

I remember there were no knee pads and helmets in my day, which is probably why when my dad first took off my stabilisers and I crashed head into the neighbouring alleyway fence and fell off into the stinging nettles, my Mum could hear my screams from inside her kitchen.Fun times indeed!BTW – I've lost count of the number of times this summer I've had to load the Cheeky's bike into the car and take it with us to the park, only to push it round and round MYself, because "I changed my mind Mummy." !!!!!!!!!!!!!