If I’m beaten up by angry teens, you’ll know why . . .

My 3-year-old daughter and I had lunch together today, a lovely affair with mother and daughter chatting and laughing and watching the world go by.
Then a group of 4 teenagers came and sat behind us. Right behind us. Like back to back behind us.

And Mia decides that actually all this chat about what the prince wears when he marries The Little Mermaid pales into insignificance compared with this clutch of 18 or 19-year-olds.
So she stares. No actually, she STARES.

Then she says so loudly that even the shoppers outside the window we are sat next to must surely have heard her, let alone the boys behind: “Mummy, why has that boy got numbers in his head?”
He has a buzz cut with some shapes cut into the sides of his hair.
“I don’t know Mia” I say quietly into my sandwich, willing WILLING her to turn around and stop with the staring.
“Well, ask him mummy. Ask the boy why he’s got silly things on his head.”

I calmly turn her around in her chair, oblivious as to whether the boys are seething or as embarrassed as I am.
Five minutes later they start playing music. It’s some bland rap music and I’m assuming it’s on their mobile phones, but to be honest I’m more preoccupied with the fact that Mia has shot round in her chair again and is practically leering at them again.
“Mummy, why are they playing music?”
Oh boy, why does she talk so LOUDLY?
“I don’t know honey.”
Pause. She looks on for a few seconds more then turns to me, cocks her little head to one side and announces:
“It’s really quite rubbish music though isn’t it?”

This entry was posted in Dan & Mia, Family Life. Bookmark the permalink.

162 Responses to If I’m beaten up by angry teens, you’ll know why . . .

1. Potty Mummy says:

Out of the mouths of babes, Tara…

2. Single Parent Dad says:

Can't argue with her accuracy. And I too would actually like the answer to why teenagers play music via their cellular devices.

3. Corey Schwartz says:

Ha, ha! Three year olds are the funniest. My son turned four last week and I already miss the "old" Joshy.

4. Maternal Mirth says:

3YO's are smarter than teens. That's why.

5. ALMOST MRS AVERAGE says:

LOL…I know just how you feel. I really have problems when my youngest calls ladies "he". The problem really arises when they really do look like men 😀

@Potty Mummy: So very true. Children do say what we're all thinking. I just wish she didn't have to be so loud about it!@ Single Parent Dad: Can't answer that one. Probably the same reason they think it's cool to wear their underpants hitched upto their armpits and their waistband around their hips. No comprende@ Corey Schwartz: Does that mean that when she turns 4 this will all stop? Please, please give me some hope here Corey . . . @ Maternal Mirth: Nail. On. Head!@Almost Mrs Average: I've had the "why is that man wearing girls clothes?" when he has a pink shirt on.And I've had "doesn't she know that top doesn't fit her?" when a larger teen is wearing a crop top (hmm, nice area we live in!)

7. A Lawyer Mom's says:

Mia is a hoot. There's an old saying, so appropos here: (paraphrasing) You can't fool a kid or a dog, I think it is.I'm working on a sub-woofer vaporizing device, but the patent hasn't come through yet.

8. She calls 'em like she sees 'em!

9. steenky bee says:

She is an old soul that one!

10. vered says:

I love the way kids always speak the truth. It's sad when they grow and become diplomatic and calculating.

11. Christina says:

Go Mia! Out of the mouths of babes….

12. iota says:

Marvellous marvellous.My brother was out with his small daughter, and came across a group of teens. One of the girls was wearing an army jacket and had a crew cut, army boots, lots of piercings. My niece asked my brother in a really loud voice "Is she a girl or is she a boy?" When my brother just mumbled and tried to distract her, she went up to the girl and asked "Are you a girl, or are you a boy?"And for all that girl's tough exterior, she was reduced to a mumbling embarrassment too.Nothing like a small child who hasn't yet learned all our social inhibitions…

13. SandyCalico says:

LOL She just said what everyone else was thinking. I sometimes wish I could!

14. Dave Fowler says:

I love the way children tell the truth and I try to reply with the truth. Like when my boy asks why he can't have earrings I tell him it's because I think men look a bit effeminate in earrings – unless of course they're a pirate – in which case they just look stupid.There. I said it.

15. b says:

I wish your daughter could meet my teen son who had his hair done like that a few months ago and could not understand why I through a hissy fit over it!! He too also insists on playing his crap music loudly just to annoy everyone, the latest is to take the iPod and its speakers out with him to walk the dogs!!! So bring it on Mia you could be the one to embarass these teens into good behaviour.

16. Nota Bene says:

Cool. The smaller the child, the more accurate their observations….

@ Hairline Fracture/Lawyer Mom's Musings/Christina/SandyCalico/B/Nota Bene: Maybe I could hire her out as a mini voice of conscience to mums with teens! Any takers?iota: That is just brilliant. Like you say, they don't expect anyone to question the way they look but when you have a very small child voicing what everyone else is obviously thinking it stops them in their tracks. @ steenky bee: She is an old soul. A wise old soul that is going to get her mummy into big ole trouble!@ vered: It is lovely that they speak the truth. I bit of diplomacy wouldn't go amiss when we're walking to school and a really large man walks towards us and she declares "he is so fat mummy" while laughing like it's something she's seen on the tele and he's some character from Noddy.@ Dave Fowler: You can't come over here and diss pirates. My son would have a fit if he heard you calling Capn Jack Sparrow stupid.I saw a teen a couple of weeks ago with a huge round thing in his ear that had made a massive gaping hole in his lobe. Now THAT is stupid.

18. Dave Fowler says:

Tara, are you kidding me? That lad will look so cool as a 45 year old with a stretched out earlobe. In fact, on reflection, I've completely changed my opinion on earrings and I'm off to get one right now. You know, one of those lobe stretching ones you just mentioned, except instead of a ring I'm going to use a pound coin to make it look more tasteful.

19. gina says:

so honest 🙂

@Dave Fowler: I'd like to see photographic evidence that you've had that done. I think you're a cissy and are all talk and no trouser . . .

21. Jannie Funster says:

Rubbish music! At only 3 the kids' got impeccable taste already.When my Kelly was maybe 3 she saw this guy with full body tattoos at the lake and she asked him" Is that a movie palying on you?" Miss Stickfingers, I need another blog to follow like I need ten new holes in my head, but how can I not follow you?? I guess the blog love just expands, always room fo rmore!

22. That Girl says:

Im so glad that this doesn't just happen to me! You gotta love 'em for telling it like it is! Now…. (am employing Jedi mind trick here…) come to my blog and play the Bag Tag… go on… you know you want to…

23. Turf Dad says:

I'm thinking how funny the things Mia say are and then I insert the English accent and it's even funnier, at least to this American.@Dave- I'm not sure I would have used the word "effeminant." You are a better man than me. 🙂

24. Jo Beaufoix says:

Hee hee, don't you just love them?Miss M did a similar but less risky thing today. SHe studied the man behind us on the bus, then announced that he had 'HUNDREDS OF FRECKLES' very loudly. I'm just glad she didn't notice his nose hair. :DAnd you've been tagged in the BMB Recycling Challenge. Come and play if you get the chance.

25. Patricia says:

Three year olds are so honest and so based in reality – the world should just learn to cope with knowing the "king has no clothes on" and at 4 everything everything is male or female…Well, here's one for you! my 3 year old is turning 30 this week..but when she was 3 she wore a pair of her father's red briefs on her head everytime we sent somewhere – everytime. They had a run in them.Her 7 year old cousin wore a fried chicken "take out" barrel on his head for years 3 and 4 – all the time?These moments pass all too quickly. I am so happy you wrote this one down and shared it.

26. She's brilliant! Can't imagine they'd take her on in a fight!

27. Lisa (Jonny's M says:

Well, that girl tells it like it is, doesn't she? Can I borrow her for awhile? There are some people I'd love for her to do that to!

28. Dave Fowler says:

@Turf DadI nearly didn't but I thought it might start a great argument. 🙂 But seriously, in my humble opinion, and without prejudice (almost anyway), I don't think earrings look great on men and I won't be letting either of my boys have them. :)@Tara:P

29. Lady Mama says:

Very funny. I knew when I read that your daughter said "that's rubbish" that you must be British! Good to meet a fellow Brit blogger. I think your daughter was bang on with her perspective.

30. clareybabble says:

LOL!! Kids are just so honest! Mine have yet to embarrass me like that but give it time…

31. Mama Mel says:

OMG! LOL! That is so funny! And you tell the story so well, I am cracking up over here! My son is barely starting to say words now… I can only imagine some of the things he'll say later! 🙂 Happy SITS Day!

32. Christina says:

This is why I love kids.

Although I am starting to believe that British kids just sound smarter than American kids.

Maybe the just ARE smarter than American kids (I can say that, I’m American).

I will find out when I am in your neck of the woods this summer – let me know if there is something non-touristy that I must see or do!

Love your blog, stopping by from SITS!

33. a_healthier_me says:

Oh my! Lets see, if I remember correctly, my son was around 3 or 4 when he learned the phrase “hubba hubba” as a cat call to a pretty woman… and used it to some strange lady in a mall.

34. Molly says:

PRICELESS!Sounds like she's a music critic with my kind of taste! 😉

35. mub says:

How cute! She really does have a point though, doesn't she?

36. jineen says:

i am loving it! it is nice to know that my little munchkin isn't the only one spreading the love:)

37. Jennifer says:

LOL! That is too funny! Loved it!

38. {leah} says:

Oh, the honesty of children… if we could all be that honest!

39. LivingInspired says:

Oh man, I wish I could have your adorable little girl in those annoying situations to say exactly what I am thinking out loud. Did they bang you up in the parking lot afterwards? Stopping by from SITS and glad I did!

40. James' Mommy says:

What a smart little girl 🙂

41. Miranda says:

As a high school teacher, I'd LOVE to borrow your daughter so she could ask the questions I'm dying to ask my students some times! I love how honest little children can be.Stopping in from SITS.

42. parentingBYdummies says:

Funny. I think my #2 was born w/a defective voice box. It's just. So. Loud!

43. {Katie Lane} says:

I think your daughter and I could be very good friends!

44. Pam says:

Visiting from SITS. Smart girl. Be interesting to see if she still thinks it's rubbish when she's a teen. One can hope.

45. It's All Good says:

A girl with awesome taste in music and a british accent (im assuming you guys have british accents, because I cant help but to read everything in a british accent in my head haha!)I like this girl…

46. Tammy Howard says:

Rubbish music indeed!

47. Preston says:

Aren't children amazing? I love that she thought the music was rubbish. Enjoy your SITS day!

48. Astrid says:

Ha ha ha!Rubbish music! Gotta love that one!Happy SITS Day!

49. John Deere Mom says:

Rubbish music…I love it! I think we need to start using the word rubbish here more often. It's a great word! Love your blog…happy SITS day!

50. countryfriedmama says:

Seems like those teens should have been embarrassed, not your little one. I love when they say the things we can't.

51. Tricia says:

What a cute/funny story. Thanks for making me smile this morning. Stopping by from SITS!

52. Becky @ Our Sweet Pe says:

You've got to love that she has good taste in music already 🙂 Happy SITS day!

53. Yaya says:

That is so cute! "rubbish music"! The 4 yr old boy that I nanny for doesn't like any music with a rap type beat to it. He calls it "mean" music and "boy" music (although he is a boy?)

54. Jules says:

Happy SITS day to you! "Rubbish"….I just wish my children would use the word rubbish!

55. Cher says:

haha! at least she's got an ear for music…hopefully she won't be blaring that rubbish herself as a teenager! 🙂

56. Mommy of Many says:

from the mouths of babes, You can always depend on your little ones to say exactly what you are thinking.

57. Jeannie Finelli, RN says:

They do call them as they see them. At one time, I was expecting an important visit and went through great pains to clean the house. The visitor arrived and sat on the couch. When a bff stopped by to say hello, she brought her son in with her. The boy enters my living room, circles the room as he nods his head approvingly, and states with great cheer, "Looks good. Who cleaned the place up?"

58. Jacky says:

Aw, that's cute. Although mortifying, I'm sure! =)Happy SITS Day!

59. Momma-of-5 says:

Don't you LOVE what comes out of kids' mouths? I tell you, as a mom, you really have to have self confidence.

60. Debbie says:

A three year old is almost always smarter than a teen.

61. Connie Weiss says:

Mia has excellent taste in music! Great story!Happy SITS Day!

62. Melissa says:

Children speak the truth in innocence, don't they?

63. Reluctant Housewife says:

They probably thought it was funny. It sounds like a nice day with your daughter. Lovely.

64. You NEVER know what a child will say and you have many years before she actually understands to curb her tongue…LOL

65. Queenie Jeannie says:

Awesome!!! She just said outloud what everyone else was thinking!!!!

66. Robin says:

I'm with Mia……Why do they cut those silly numbers in their hair? :-)Oh and why do they insist on wearing pants with the waistband down around their thighs and an extra long t-shirt to hide their package and butt? Don’t they know how to use a zipper? 😀

67. (army)Wife says:

Hilarious!

68. Joy says:

OMG I love her. WTG Mia!Congrats on your SITS feature!

69. Bentley Boutique says:

Ha, that's so cute!! I remember when my boys were 3, one of them was fascinated by our obviously gay waiter. He finally blurted out in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear: "Oh I get it, he's a lady daddy! He has earrings like yours, mommie! He's a lady daddy!"

70. Cassie says:

LOL! I love that she said their music was rubbish! too funny.

71. Laura says:

If she's only 3, those embarrassing moments are just beginning.

72. RebeccaMom says:

ah yes, there is sooo much to learn at that age, all the little social things and they ask, they ASK! I remember mine asking loudly if that lady (a large, but NOT pregnant woman) has a baby in her belly… LOL great post!

73. mommy4life says:

Leave it to children to be painfully honest!

74. Faith Imagined says:

Too funny!

75. Cammie says:

sooo funny! Kids are way to smart these days

76. missy says:

oh how funny!!!!!!children are very honest!!!!!!

77. Superjaxster says:

Ahh ha ha ha ha! Oh she is a smart little cookie with good taste 🙂 Cute story!

78. Brandy says:

happy SITS day. your posts are hilarious!

79. T~T says:

smart girl!!My kids always ask about the strange piercings!!

80. Amy says:

oh my goodness, that is funny. I think my favorite is when she calls their music rubbish. Why is it teens loose all sense of what is good music when they hit those years?

81. Truth be told from the innocence of a Babe.Happy SITS Day!

82. Danemama08 says:

Wow I thought cutting stuff in your hair went out in the 80s! Im glad that your little girl has good choice in music too!PS Happy SITS Day!

83. Kat says:

That music really is quite rubbish. But the hair thing…I mean really. If they didn't want the stares and attention…why on earth do that? My kids have made comments about teens with mohawks. Or strange colors in their hair. I kinda thought that was the point…

84. Wow. That is awesome! Mayb when she's a teenager she'll understand those guys…

85. Mom says:

Hilarious! My oldest used to like pointing out people flaws…LOUDLY!About the guy in the grocery store with an eye patch: "Look mom, A PIRATE!!"Kids are so funny!Life…EXAGGERATED

86. Brooke says:

lol! at least she has good taste! 🙂 happy sits day.

87. The Mom @ Babes in H says:

That's so funny. I've had a few situations w/my girlies where you wish you could just cover their mouths and shrink out of the room! Thanks for the laugh & Congrats on FB at SITS today!

88. Pricilla says:

Happy SITS day.I once took my niece to the zoo and as we crested the rise to the zebra exhibit in the heat of the summer she looked around and asked if her daddy was there as she smelled him. Quite loudly of course.I was hysterical and when we got home I asked my brother why she thought that. Heh heh

89. Brandy says:

Insulted by a 3 year old. I love it! LOL!

90. Robbie S. Redmon, LP says:

Happy SITS Day!

91. Robbie S. Redmon, LPC says:

Happy SITS Day!

92. MochaTrina says:

I don't know if anyone has said this yet, but kids say the darndest things!

93. Melanie says:

Too funny! I have been there with by almost 4 yo boy and see me in your place in a couple of years with my 1 year old daughter. She is already so strong minded, just like her brother (who is finally passing out of this stage)

94. Marrdy says:

Not only do you have a smart son you also have a smart daughter. Children are so honest aren't they? Love this!

95. Mariel says:

Someone has got to tell those teenagers!Darling little girl!Mariel http://www.oneshetwoshe.com

96. Lisa says:

I love the word rubbish. Especially coming out of a 3 year old 🙂

97. B.o.B. says:

gotta love her! she calls 'em like she sees 'em. happy SITS day! great story.

98. Lizz says:

Heh. Won't be the last time!

99. Tonya says:

I love the innocence of children!!

100. J says:

That is hilarious! Happy SITS day!

101. Dawn@Embracing the O says:

LOL…kids tell it like it is…

102. Ronnica says:

"Rubbish music"…just great!

103. What a fabulous kid you have!!! :)Visiting over from SITS! Happy SITS Day!Staciehttp://www.thedivinemissmommy.com

104. Michelle says:

HA! I have 2 similar stories on my blog (filed under Millicent if interested) about a fat lady and a pirate. No filters.

105. Bear Bunch says:

LOL! I can't stop laughing. She is too cute.

106. lbradshaw says:

LOL! Rubbish, that cracks me up! Happy SITS Day!

107. Ashley says:

I already love that girl and I don't even know her!Rubbish indeed!

108. Jessica says:

I'm a long way off from these moments, but I know they're coming!Sounds like you need to work on your Jedi mind tricks some more hahaha.

109. Mrs4444 says:

Love the dialect! 🙂 Your little girl is a sensible one, isn't she. Happy SITS Day to you!

110. Kelly says:

Cute! You gotta love the honesty of kids!

111. Holly Noelle says:

Clever girl! Such distinguished taste at such a young age! Good for her!

112. Renni says:

Happy SITS day! Kids always say what you are thinking but have been taught not to say..

113. Days of Whine & says:

Well at least they weren't doing anything they shouldn't have been doing!Visiting from SITS!

114. Meg says:

Oh dear. Where is the mute button when you need it.Visiting from sits!

115. Amanda @ Serenity No says:

Stopping in from SITS. Good story!! I love how observant children are. I have to stop my 3 year old every so often from embarrassing us. 🙂

116. MrsM says:

Kids say the most embarrassing things….as loudly as possible! Congrats on being the FB today!

117. Shanda says:

Out of the mouths of babes! Enjoy the SITSta love today!!!

118. Wow…"quite rubbish music." I have to say, British three-year-olds sound much more articulate than American three-year-olds. :)Happy SITS Day!

119. S Club Mama says:

Happy SITS day! I think it's sweet that she said their music was rubbish. Oh that's so cute!

120. Elizabeth Howard says:

Gotta love our kids and the things that come innocently out of their mouths!Happy SITS day!

121. Mama Mair says:

Oh, those mother daughter lunches got to love them! Very observant of Mia, too. The world is an interesting place for a preschooler.Stopping by from SITS. Happy FB day!

122. Tiffany says:

Very funny! I wonder what the teens thought.

123. carma says:

quite rubbish music – talk about tellin' it as it is!

124. Mama Kat says:

Oh my goodness how I wish my kids said "mummy" and "quite rubbish"!! She sounds adorable!!

125. Modern Mama Diana says:

How cute is she??? Happy SITS Day!!

126. Mel says:

That's really cute….kids do have that knack for saying things at just the "right" time….LOL. And they're not shy either!

127. Alicia says:

Lol…how cute is that?! Good for her!!

128. Roshni Mitra Chintal says:

so cute!Coming over from SITS!

129. Lindsey says:

Oh my gosh, that is fantastic. Leave it to the kids to announce their observations to the world. Keep up that mentality! It's rubbish! 😉

130. Sarah Jensen says:

I love it. It's not just my kids who do that, though mine actually go talk to the people, ask them questions.My five year old nephew told a man that he was really fat. He's like six-seven and maybe three hundred and fifty pounds. Gotta love kids.Happy SITS day!

131. Lani says:

Sounds like you've got a smart one there:)Happy SITS Day

132. Helen McGinn says:

Good for her! Happy SITS Day! xx

133. Jen says:

Visiting from SITs and love your blog. I am reminded of many embarrassing times when my daughter was that age.

134. Rachel says:

I love how little children speak their minds!

135. Cathy says:

I must say…your daughter has wisdom beyond her years! :0) These teenagers today!

136. Prep-E Girl says:

Happy SITS day! That is FANTASTIC! There are so many times that I think the same things but being that I am 30 and not 3 – I cannot say them out loud!-E 🙂

137. The Un-Organized Mom says:

and she was so right!!! =)

138. Charmaine @ randalsw says:

Hahahahahaha!!! That's great!

139. Martha says:

I love it!! Such a cute story!! Visiting from SITS, thank you. Greetings from Los Angeles.

140. sandy says:

Hehehe! That's funny!

141. T says:

I think I love your little girl!! (no, I'm not a stalker, really)I think they modeled "The Emperor's New Clothes" after this blog post!

142. Elizabeth says:

It's totally awesome that your daughter is 3 and uses the word "rubbish" – I love it!!! Happy SITS FB Day!

143. Amy says:

Yep, our kids live to mortify us!Happy SITS day 🙂

144. reality chicks says:

I'm glad you made it home alive!

145. Sharon and Billy Bla says:

Every parent in the world can relate to this. You just want to beam yourself into another part of town. They are sooooo loud… and funny!

146. dddiva says:

haha I LOVE Kids! One of Dev's classics when mom & I took her shopping- when mom comes out of the restroom VERY LOUDLY- Gramma, did you wipe your butt? Were you making a stinky? It sure took you a long time.People were literally rolling.

147. Michelle says:

Awww, what a sweetie. If only she still holds these opinions in ten years, no?

148. Happy SITS day! Don't you wish you could be as blunt as a 3 year old without getting hit?

149. Chrissy says:

They always seem to speak loudly when we least want them to:)

150. Mercedes says:

At least she is honest. Happy Sits Day!

151. Chrissy & Geran says:

Sometimes they are honest when we wish they weren't:)

152. Gamma Sharon says:

Well, your life is never boring I bet! LolCongrats on being the FB!

153. coco-ono says:

it just sounds like you are raising her right 😉

154. Cindi ~ Moomettesgra says:

What a good influence you are to her!

155. the girl says:

Dropping in from SITS – I'm a bit late to the party, but thought I'd add my voice in saying that your three year old has some serious smarts 🙂

156. greedygrace says:

LOL! I have a loud 3 year old, too! Good times! Happy SITS Day!

157. Norine says:

Priceless! I know my day is coming as I too have a 3 year old! I must share with you that one of my pals has twin 5 yr olds and when they were a little younger, say, 4, they were grocery shopping … behind a really BIG man. And one of the twins turns to my pal and says: Mommy! That man wouldn't be so fat if he didn't buy so many groceries! Naturally, my friend wanted to disappear into the floor!Happy SITS Day. I'm enjoying your blog!NorineDon't Put Lizards In Your Ears

158. Dancinfairy says:

Perfect!

159. Anne says:

Ha ha ha – out of the mouths of babes!

160. That is quite hilarious…rubbish, tee hee…what a cutie pie!Jamie 🙂

161. hehe what a cutie!! forgot to stop by yesterday so I did today! Hope your SITS Day was FABULOUS!

162. danikeith says: