Love is . . .

daddybaby

Two very good friends of mine became first time dads over the past few days.
And it reminded me just how bloody great it is to become a parent for the first time.

Remember that feeling? That indescribable surge of love, the breathtaking tug on your heartstrings. That feeling that finally, finally you get it.
Both my friends are feeling that right now and I am chuffed to bits for them.

They have both waited a long long time for this day, for one reason or another, and I can just imagine the look of pure joy on their faces now their little miracles are finally here.
First dad said he just sits and stares at his daughter: “it’s amazing. It’s just amazing” he tells me barely able to contain his emotion.
And this was a text message I had with the other new dad:

How are you feeling today?
Knackered. Came home yesterday and had first of many sleepless nights.

Feels good though doesn’t it?
The best.

It’s easy to forget those early days when your daughter is weeing on the bed for attention (yes, yes we’re there now) and you’re frazzled from all the attention they need over the school break and they’re throwing mud up the kitchen window to see if it will stick and demanding bike rides every 5 minutes.

This has brought that first flush of motherhood flooding back.

So, to little baby George and Olivia, welcome to the world. Auntie Tara can’t wait to meet you both.

This entry was posted in Dads. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Love is . . .

1. SandyCalico says:

How lovely, I get weepy whenever anyone has a baby, even if I don't know them!Award for you at mine x

2. Vered - MomGrind says:

Yes, it's amazing. Those first few weeks with my firstborn were also characterized by quiet inimacy that's just not there when you have more than one child.

3. iota says:

Yes, those early hours. You have to savour them so carefully, as the baby changes by the day, and you can never have the time over again.

4. It truly does change you forever. I remember holding my daughter, amazed by her perfection, thinking, "*I* made *this*? INSIDE my uterus?"

5. Expat mum says:

Apparantly when I had my third (and my older two were 7 and 10) I was so smitten with him that all the nurses though I was a (very old) first time mum. It never changes.

6. notSupermum says:

Awww, yes it really IS the best. Congrats to both new sets of parents.

7. amy says:

I'm still going through that with my 3month old! love that feeling maybe thats why i've got 4children???? x

8. Me, Amplified says:

darn it, now my baby envy is acting up again! congrats to the dads.

9. Adrenalynn says:

Aah… I just had the best time remembering what it was like. It's so easy to get caught up in all those everyday little struggles and hassles and forget that every moment is just that precious.I've just spent an amazing, relaxing morning in the sun with my husband and kids and another family on on a farm not far from here. I really needed to just. Have. Fun. And not think about lunches and diapers and feeding and dishes for once. I'm starting work again next week, so this day was a God-send! And then I read your post and cried a little. Perfect! :)Congrats to the new dads!

10. Theknitbox says:

To give a little bow to this blog, which I've been following for some time and nodding my head in agreement at each post, I'd like to humbly pass on the Lemonade Award – an informal acknowledgment of appreciation between bloggers – for being an inspirational and really delightful blog. Hope you pass it along, too.

11. Single Parent Dad says:

Brilliant.I recorded a video diary of Max's first few days. Called 'Daddy's Log' I have never watched it back, and didn't consciously decide to do it, but I am glad that I did.

12. Alicia says:

Yes, I miss that new baby feeling too, the smells, the surge of love, the pure wonder and joy of it all… I'm jealous. Congrats to everyone though!

13. DCUrbanDad says:

Congrats to the new dads. Having just celebrated the first birthday of our little Mini-Kamp it is hard to believe I was in their shoes. It rocked then and it rocks now. It just plain rocks!

14. MelRox says:

Sounds cool 🙂

15. clareybabble says:

Those first few days made me giddy! Definitely the best feeling in the world x

16. CK Lunchbox says:

That is a great feeling. I'm happy for every father that appreciates the moment.

17. Experimental Mum says:

Ahh, you made me broody, glad my sister is having her first baby soon…

18. Reasons to be Cheerf says:

The wonder of parenthood and the smell of a newborn baby – such precious things. x

19. Patricia says:

Ah this beautiful post just floods in beautiful memories…I just mailed my first child her 30 year birthday gift…ah those sweet sweet moments. Thank you

20. Oh, I do remember those days and they were incredible, weren't they? Congrats to your friends on taking on the best role ever.Daisy

21. A Lawyer Mom's says:

Yep, and as a mother of an 8 year-old, I can tell you that "knackered" feeling never leaves you. Every time you see them asleep it surges back.

22. Lisa (Jonny's M says:

Ah, that newness. So may possibilities in that warm little body curled up and sleeping against you. It is lovely and wonderful and … sigh…just wonderful again. 🙂 thanks for the memories.

23. Maternal Tales says:

Yes – and thanks for reminding me! Sometimes we all need to be reminded just how good it felt because otherwise the being driven mad really would be being driven mad…Oh to do it all over again!!!

24. Tricia says:

I sat down with my son's book of photos from his first year the other day and was amazed at all that's happened so quickly, but I was overwhelmed with emotion to remember what you're talking about. It was absolutely amazing. Congratulations to both of your friends.

25. Brit in Bosnia / Fra says:

It is so special. Congratulations to your friends. It almost makes me want to do it all again…

26. Millennium Housewife says:

Ah Ah, so jealous, I'd give a lot for that first few weeks falling in love bit, but not enough alas to have a third child…

27. Tony says:

It's funny because I've read a few other blogs that talk about someone just becoming a parent or an uncle – I guess everyone is having babies now. I even wrote a post about a friend who just became a father – weird huh?

28. Metropolitan Mum says:

And it just gets better and better 🙂

29. Perfectly Happy Mum says:

I definitely is the best… I will never forget that feeling… I never stopped smiling from the moment Elliott was born until NOW! 🙂 I sometime wish I could go back in time and have it all over again. But it is not possible, so people out there with your first baby, enjoy and delect in every second. That love never decreases if not the opposite but this warm feeling of the first few month goes even if it is replaced by something different but as intensed…