Wordless Wednesday: Dirt under the fingernails

wheelbarrow1

There is a photograph of me stashed away somewhere that was taken when I was about 6 years old and I am having the time of my life in the back garden at my grandma’s house, sat in her metal wheelbarrow.

Well, it seems that brand of fun transcends the generations, as this weekend my two would say the highlight of our day in the garden was having daddy wheel them around in the barrow that was filled with soil, leaves, grass and all manner of creepy crawlies.
That, and having nana soak them with the hose, of course.

I haven’t heard them laugh so loud and so hard in ages.
Who needs expensive toys and TV?

Check out more of my Wordless Wednesdays or visit here for entries from around the world.

This entry was posted in Blogging, Photography. Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to Wordless Wednesday: Dirt under the fingernails

1. Reasons to be Cheerf says:

So true the simplest of pleasures are often the best.

2. One Mom says:

yep, they look perfectly contented! love the red glove too!

3. Adrenalynn says:

Adorable:) This is what childhood is all about.

4. Muddling Along Mummy says:

Happiness is wheelbarrow and some cuttings !

5. iota says:

Love the picture. Was trying to think of a movie title which would be apt if I changed one letter, but couldn't. If they were mowing the lawn, I suppose I could have given you "Children of a Lesser Sod".

6. Run DMT says:

Isn't it funny how history repeats itself in photographs? Happy WW!

7. iota says:

I realise that I've been in America too long, and didn't appreciate the need to explain that 'sod' over here is what we call 'turf'. Used to amuse me, but I've got so used to it I don't notice any more.

8. Kool Aid says:

I love it! Looks like so much fun. We haven't broken out our wheelbarrow yet, but I'm sure it won't be long before my kids will be doing the same thing..

9. Writer Dad says:

THAT looks like fun. Too bad I can't get anyone to roll me around.

10. Vered - MomGrind says:

Kids are SO good at enjoying life.

11. Eli's Lids says:

This looks like so much fun! I remember my dad hauling me around in a wheel barrel…

12. amy says:

funny, i just bought 3year old a pink wheelbarrow and she loves it so much too, especialy pushing it around with 2year old in it. i think its one of her favourite toys ever! lovely picture! x x

13. Maternal Tales says:

Ooh you must find the original photo. Would be too too cute. They are adorable. Might have to get the wheelbarrow out for my two now x

14. b says:

All kids really need is time and love and they are happy, my kids love hanging out in the garden, the more water there is the more fun they say. Nothing better than hearing a childs laugh. You should have dug out your pic and put them side by side.

15. CK Lunchbox says:

you're right who needs all that fancy crap the toy stores convince you your kids will grow up with issues unless you buy it. Kids. Dirt pile. Outside. Go.

16. Working mum says:

Fabulous! (Brought back memories of dad's wheelbarrow and the hose pipe tied to the washing line as a shower) Don't you love it when Spring arrives and you can all get outdoors in the fresh air?

17. Looks great fun. I'll get ours out later I think – beats Cbeebies!!

18. Vodka Mom says:

there is nothing like the joyful laugh of a child. especially when it's your own……

19. Metropolitan Mum says:

Would love to see the original photo, too. Funny, how we all have been sitting in one of these vehicles at a certain point – I remember my older brother pushing me around our great grandma's garden. Bliss!

20. Looks heaven. Dont you just love those afternoons when you just Exist in the garden and the children run around enjoying themselves, with hardly a toy in sight. Fab.

21. Nota Bene says:

Some things are timeless…

22. More than Just a Mot says:

How lovely. I'd love to see the original photo of you – could you post it on here one day?

23. Single Parent Dad says:

Lovely snap.We had a great day in the garden a few Sundays ago. Child enjoyed it too, and it was very productive too.

24. kirsty815 says:

awww lovely! Just spent some time in the garden myself the other day!