Adoration

duo1

My little girl adores her older brother.
I mean she A D O R E S him.

When I dress her in the morning and I have a sweet, girlie outfit all laid out for her, she hugs me tightly then pulls back and says: “it’s very nice mummy, but I want to look like Daniel” and so once again she leaves the house in jeans and trainers.

The last time she cut her hair (yes, there have been more than one hair cutting incident) and I implore “Mia, why would you do that honey?” she says with heartbreaking honesty: “I just want to look like Daniel.”

Every morning, as soon as she opens her eyes and realises it’s morning, she trots into her brother’s bedroom, climbs into bed with him and they sit there side by side.
He’s usually playing on his Nintendo DS or drawing or writing a letter.
She lies there next to him, head resting on his arm, watching intently, lovingly at whatever it is he is occupying himself with.
It is a joy to watch.

Sure they argue and fight and tease one another. But even those times are loaded with love.
I’m sure it’s every parent’s silent prayer that as their children grow they will remain close and become the best of friends in adulthood.

It doesn’t always turn out that way and there is no way of controlling what happens at they jump headlong into their teens and start to go their seperate ways.
All I can do it lay the foundations, show them that the love of a sibling is a wonderful thing to cherish and keep my fingers crossed.
But at the moment I couldn’t be more proud of the way they interact.

Daniel is already an excellent confidence booster for her.
As they were playing in his room one morning, she came bursting into our room all gushing and excitable – and quite bizarrely for 9am, wearing a pair of sunglasses and a denim jacket.
They had been playing dress up and as she was strutting her stuff, Daniel said to her: “You are such a groovy chick, Mia!”

Her head swelling and keen to tell mummy that Dan’s thinks she’s the bee’s knees, she bursts in and announces: “Mummy, mummy, Daniel thinks I’m a groovy chicken!”

This entry was posted in Dan & Mia, Family Life. Bookmark the permalink.

64 Responses to Adoration

1. Mama Dawg says:

It's posts like this that occasionally make me want to give my daughter a sibling.

2. Mama Dawg says:

3. notSupermum says:

Awww, bless. That's so sweet, long may it last!

4. notSupermum says:

Awww, bless. That's so sweet, long may it last!

5. Home Office Mum says:

I like to believe my sons love each other somewhere in between the kicking, kung fu chops, biting and yelling. Because they do it all (well most) with smiles on their faces.

6. That's so sweet, and really quite moving to read. I'm sad my daughter doesn't have an older brother. I have two brothers. One is 20 months younger and we have always been incredibly close. I think your two will always remain close if my experience is anything to go by, and as you hit adulthood relationships like that are wonderful.

7. That's so sweet, and really quite moving to read. I'm sad my daughter doesn't have an older brother. I have two brothers. One is 20 months younger and we have always been incredibly close. I think your two will always remain close if my experience is anything to go by, and as you hit adulthood relationships like that are wonderful.

8. Christina says:

Golly is that total sweetness or what?! So precious…and it makes me ache that my little girl does not (and probably will not) have a sibling. But, I'd kill for her to wear pants just ONCE!

9. Christina says:

10. Adrenalynn says:

That's incredibly moving! And it's amazing how he as the older one shows his love for her as well. It seems so rare these days for siblings to grow up close, and I really hope my kids will continue to cherish each other as much as they do now!

11. Adrenalynn says:

@ Mama Dawg: I could be making your husband a happy happy man tonight then . . . @ Home Office Mum: I'll bet they'll look back on those days of trying to tear stips off each other with fond memories! @ Rosiescribble: I think it's so lovely for a grown woman to have a brother looking out for her and caring for her at all times and through all things. You are so lucky to have that.@ Christina: How funny, you're dying for your girl to wear trousers once in a while and I can't get mine to wear a skirt unless I tear strips off it, paint it brown and tell her it's a Peter Pan outfit.@ Adrenalynn: You're right, it does seem quite rare to see siblings grow up close. It seems to be more the exception rather than the rule and another way in which family life is being broken down.

14. Tracy says:

Groovy Chicken! I love it!

15. Tracy says:

Groovy Chicken! I love it!

16. See, I just know Mac would love a little brother or sister but having seen one close friend and my cousin go through childbirth I'm encouraging him to spend time with his younger relatives instead!Beautiful picture xx

17. See, I just know Mac would love a little brother or sister but having seen one close friend and my cousin go through childbirth I'm encouraging him to spend time with his younger relatives instead!Beautiful picture xx

18. Iota says:

That's lovely. Yes, long may it last, as you say.

19. Iota says:

That's lovely. Yes, long may it last, as you say.

@Tracy: Groovy chicken is now the new term of endearment in this house. I call it my hubby all the time!@Nunhead Mum: Childbirth? Nah, walk in the park. Never ever ever doing it again mind . . .@Iota: Tonight Mia is putting on make up that my mum bought her (what are you doing to me mother!) and he said: "you don't need it Mia, you're beautiful as you are." He's 6! He is going to make one hell of a husband!

22. GreenJello says:

All my girls are the best of friends! And I'm so glad.I'm good friends a couple of my siblings, one in particular. It's a good thing.

23. GreenJello says:

24. Avlor says:

That was so cute, I had to tell it to my hubby. 😉 I need to write down more of the moments we have like these too. My memory has been a funnel instead of a container of late. Being able to re-read these stories may help during the rougher days.

25. Avlor says:

26. Vered - MomGrind says:

This was the most beautiful thing I have read this entire day.

27. Vered - MomGrind says:

This was the most beautiful thing I have read this entire day.

28. Cassandra says:

Lovely picture and post. BTW – I was Red Rum at Definitely Stopping at Two – binned that blog for all sorts of mad reasons. But I have a new one! Hope that you'll be able to drop in some time x

29. Cassandra says:

@ GreenJello: So glad to hear it can be done!@ Avlor: You must always write down moments like this, even the little ones, because they are just so great to look back on when they are older. Little snapshots of their lives together.@ Vered: Crickey! Thankyou Vered.@ Cassandra: Welcome back! I thought Google had swallowed you whole.

32. Single Parent Dad says:

What a lovely story. I have a younger sister, who through my youth was really horrible to, but I think it built her character, and we are really close now. Something I become even more grateful for when I realise what an ass I was, and how others with siblings don't have the same.You're right to be really proud.

33. Single Parent Dad says:

34. Metropolitan Mum says:

Awww… makes me think about #2 already. May the chickens be groovy at all times and the sun shine upon them!

35. Metropolitan Mum says:

36. Vodka Mom says:

I am PRAYING right now that what has happened at my house doe NOT happen at yours……adorable.

37. Vodka Mom says:

@Single Parent Dad: That's really lovely that you found each other again. Nice try with excusing your behaviour as 'character building'!@Metropolitan Mum: Let's get number 1 into the world first eh! @Vodka Mom: ** Fingers in my ears ** la la la la la la

40. Kool Aid says:

What a great story! I love to watch my two when Monkey sits and reads to Little Man. Although, when he starts playing Barbie with her, I have to intervene just a bit and make sure he's at least playing with a boy-Barbie doll.At least he's not trying to wear dresses when she does. Here's to all the groovy chickens in your house!

41. Kool Aid says:

42. Coding Mamma (Tasha) says:

Aw, that's so lovely. Hope we have the same experience here. (There's an award for you over at mine, if you want one – I'm sure you've had it a gazillion times already, though!)

43. Coding Mamma (Tasha) says:

44. CK Lunchbox says:

The brother sister bond is such a lasting one. I would even go so far as say it can be strong than even sisters. I have three sisters who are close, but at any given time one is in a tiff with the other. I am close with all of them but particularly so with the my first sister who is two years younger. There were so many moments like those of Mia and Daniel that are shared only by us.

45. CK Lunchbox says:

46. Nicola says:

How lovely. I wish the boys had a sister in the mix, as great as they are together. But my best days are watching and hearing them interact lovingly. When I asked Captain Underpants if he had a best friend he looked at me like I was insane…despite having many friends that he seems very obsessed with, his best friend is his little brother. Silly me. It must have been all that hitting each other over the head with light sabers that had me fooled.

47. Nicola says:

48. Reasons to be Cheerf says:

Did google just eat my comment? A long one? Damn! That happened earlier with CJ, I'll wait and see….

49. Reasons to be Cheerf says:

50. Reasons to be Cheerf says:

Looks like it did. Was saying, I watched my two girls give each other a really tight hug at bedtime last – a tear in my eye – of joy for a change. Long may we enjoy it!

51. Reasons to be Cheerf says:

@ Kool Aid: I shouldn't worry about you son playing with Barbie. I've caught my two tonght making each other up with a make up set my mother (what was she thinking?) bought Mia.As I walked in Dan was having glittery lipgloss applied . . . @ Coding Mamma: Never ever think I have enough awards. I cherish each and every one (even when I haven't mentioned them for ages – That Girl and notSupermum, I haven't forgotten!)@ CK Lunchbox: Thanks so much for sharing that story. That's really heartening for me to hear. And wow! You grew up with all those sisters. It's no wonder you are such a big softie!@ Nicola: Aww how sweet. That just goes to show that no matter how many times they try to kill each other, deep down they really do have an unshakeable bond. @ Reasons to be Cheerful: I'm sorry about the Google gobbling thing. I've had it myself a couple of times and I think it's when someone else is trying to post at the same time. Bloody annoying when you've just typed out a stream of consciousness though!

54. Turf Dad says:

My poor boy is the middle sibling between two fiery redheads. His youger sister adors him and he adors her. His older sister was more of a mommy figure before we adopted them. They are really having a hard time now. My younger sister ran away from home at 13 and never came back. And today she talks about all the great times we had as kids. That must have been on that other planet she lived on. I just smile and shake my head, "Yeah, your right, good times, good times."

55. Turf Dad says:

56. It is so sweet that she looks up to him–and he's definitely living up to her adoration!

57. It is so sweet that she looks up to him–and he's definitely living up to her adoration!

@Turf Dad: Dear heaven, your poor son. Two readheads? Actually, what am I saying, poor you!It's so strange how adults can rewrite history to suit their current needs. I bet the trauma and heartache you experienced as a child has helped shape you into the parent you are today though. @Hairline Fracture: This morning she whispered to me: "I love my brother sooo much mummy. He really looks after me." Don't make me cry before school, honey!

60. DC Urban Dad says:

That is adorable. I have 2 older sisters that mean the world to me. We have definitely had our fights but I would not be the person I am today without them.

61. Laura McIntyre says:

For some reason this made me tear up, i think the sibling relationship is just something amazing. Watching my kids together always make me feel so proud. Your two sound so wonderful together

62. Laura McIntyre says:

63. Perfectly Happy Mum says:

Hi Tara, I have to tell you that this post just brought tears to my eyes… it is really moving and written beautifully. My 2 boys are still very young but there is nothing that I love more than watching them smiling at each other. Elliott, who is 2 can't stop kissing and cuddling his 8 months old brother and Victor's face completely lights up when he sees his brother entering a room. Like you said I know that there will be arguments, there will be fights and cries but I am praying for them to hold that love they have for each other forever and without judgment if they grow up with different interest or opinion…

64. Perfectly Happy Mum says: