Avoiding the ‘where do babies come from’ talk. Just

angelic

My 6-year-old son is struggling a little with creation.

“If God made everyone and everything,” he asks me, “did he also make the Mars men and aliens?”

There is no point going down the ‘there is no such thing as aliens’ route because he TOTALLY believes that there are.
Star Wars is not fiction to this boy.

“When is Lily (our aged cat) going to have babies?”
“She’s not.”
“Why? Doesn’t God put the babies in all ladies’ tummies? And she is a girl cat.”

“Well, not everyone has a baby do they Dan?”

“So he chooses who to give one to?”

Oh no! We all know where this is heading.

“That must mean you are really really special mummy. He must have thought you would make such a good mum.”

Pause.

“And twice! Mummy you must be such a good person.”

Call me a bad mother or a coward or whatever you like, but I left it there and let him believe that his mother is just one step away from sainthood.

It’s just a good job he didn’t see me later that night raiding his treat tin because mummy needed her ‘hit’ of chocolate (although this all obviously happened a couple of days ago as I have given up sugar for Lent).

Picture: Katiya Rhodes-Singh

This entry was posted in Family Life. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Avoiding the ‘where do babies come from’ talk. Just

1. Jo Beaufoix says:

Ahhhh, that's so cute. I think I'd have done the same at this stage. Miss M wanted to know if Daddy had a baby in his tummy the other day. He was not amused. ;D

2. Kool Aid says:

Enjoy the "sainthood" while you can. Those teen years aren't too far ahead!

3. Tracy says:

That is adorable! Smart boy!

4. Beautiful! Sometimes, not saying anything is the best answer!I don't even want to think about this topic just yet.. oh dear. I probably should get a book on it so I know what a good mother should say! Ha ha.Daisy

5. Katherine says:

You certainly are a very special mummy. Now remember to remind yourself that NOTHING HAS CHANGED about YOU, when they become teenagers.

6. Christina says:

Awww, I think he's got it right! You must be a very good person indeed!

7. Patricia says:

Silence is just golden – sometimes..thank you for sharing this story..very nice

8. Vered - MomGrind says:

Not a bad mom at all. At this age, I think it's fine to leave it at that. BTW, re your advertising announcement, if you know me at all, you know I'm a BIG supporter of bloggers' right to monetize. You go, girl!

9. Oh that's just brilliant! I'd allow him to believe you are a saint for a while.Pleased to know it's not just me who raids my child's treat tin. Yesterday I ate one of her mini Easter eggs. I'll have to replace it now in secret!

@Jo Beaufoix: I'll be daddy's been paranoid ever since. They speak with such innocence but it cuts like a knife!@ Kool Aid: **Fingers in my ears** la la la la, buried my head in the sand when it comes to teendom . . . @ Tracy: I don't want him getting too smart though. Just slightly less smarter than mummy is just fine with me!@Answerstartswithyou: If there is one thing I have learned Daisy is that you absolutely cannot prepare for these times. The things they quiz you about are so random I find it just best to wing it!@ Katherine: **runs around with hands in the air ** oh no there is that T word again.I know I should be listening to your wise words, but boy I'm thankful the teenage years are some way away. x@ Patricia: Ah yes, that is how I should have justified it to myself: silence is golden – not something that is ever usually the case in this house. @ Vered: Thank you for your support, I really do appreciate it. @Rosiescribble: Are you kidding me? I am so bad that I actually buy things for that tin that I know they don't like so offer them to me! Now THAT is bad.

11. After my recent conversation with the 4 year old I think I'll take a leaf out of your book and keep schtumm from now on!!!

12. Vodka Mom says:

I loved this!!! Here's some chocolate for you. I won't tell.

13. Potty Mummy says:

Bugger. It's Lent, isn't it. Bad Catholic, PM…

@Potty Mummy: Don't worry about it, I have never in all my (cough cough) 40 years given anything up for Lent.

15. Nicola says:

Ha ha! I actually think I am going to tell my boys this version of 'where babies come from' – although I guess telling children you're really special is not going to make them agree with you. How lovely to know that your child thinks that you're not only special, but doubly special!

16. Oh, very nice recovery about raiding the treat tin. I was about to call you out on that.

17. How cute! Let him think you are saintly as long as you can get away with it!

18. Working mum says:

I am so going to use that answer next time I'm asked!

19. Iota says:

That's so sweet.

20. Home Office Mum says:

Perhaps you should change your name to Mary…I have had the where do babies come from conversation and believe me, your approach was better than mine.

21. Cute! I raid the chocolate too. When they are at school ie the best time.

22. Tricia says:

This is just so sweet and I love that you chickened out, I would have too. Kind of like when my son asked where our dog was (who had just died) and I told him the dog went for a very, very long walk. Your "chicken out" moment is much sweeter :o)

23. Frog in the Field says:

Speechless!!!

24. More than Just a Mot says:

Great response. And you ARE very very special 🙂

25. Frog in the Field says:

Hey Tara,don't children just say the cutest things?Warning…they grow out of it!

26. Reasons to be Cheerf says:

Keep that thought in your head – he's right in many ways, and you'll need to remember it when you have teenagers!!

27. Reasons to be Cheerf says:

P.S. Yes, I forgot to mention, I am a fellow Midlander! Though not originally so am gradually finding my way around.

28. Jessica says:

I've given up chocolate for Lent….its killing me!

@Reasons to be Cheerful: Hooray, another Midlander. I thought I was the only one cheering from the centre spot on the map. Welcome, it's great to have you here.@Jessica: Just chocolate. Pft, part-timer!