Wordless Wednesday: Girlification

girlie-21

My daughter is not a ‘girlie girl’.

She thinks she’s a 6-year-old boy like her older brother and looks at me all horrified like I’m asking her to roll on broken glass when I suggest she wears a dress.
Someone bought her some Disney Princess book for Christmas and she’s scribbled on most of their picture perfect faces, like she’s censoring them or doing her own brand of airbrushing.
Princesses are not her thing.

But today, today she discovered bunches and I’ve never been more proud.

She actually asked me to ‘do my hair like yours mummy’ (Ok ok, I know, I’m 40 for god’s sake, I shouldn’t be wearing bunches, but shoot me why don’t you).
Of course, later on she tore them out so she could get her Batman mask on over her head.
But still, it’s a start.

Hmm, it turns out not so wordless after all . . .

This entry was posted in Dan & Mia. Bookmark the permalink.

55 Responses to Wordless Wednesday: Girlification

1. Joelle says:

In the States their called pigtails, and I find bunches to be a far superior title 🙂 I think I'm going to start using them… for I myself still wear them 🙂

2. Joelle says:

3. Dave Fowler says:

I love bunches. They're so cute, even on a woman of 40.My eldest girl has them all the time but my youngest hasn't got enough hair.We can just about get a pony tail in the little one's hair but she looks too much like Peter Stringfellow.

4. Dave Fowler says:

5. Heinous says:

Well, it's a small step. I'm still rooting for tomboy though 😉

6. Heinous says:

Well, it's a small step. I'm still rooting for tomboy though 😉

7. I wore my hair in bunches- with ribbons – for years as a child – maybe I'll try again now! I well remember the pleasure of requesting my hairstyle from my mum in the morning – bunches, plaits, 'palm tree' (one bunch on the top of head) or pony tail.(And Joelle – interesting, as pigtails to me means two plaits.)

8. I wore my hair in bunches- with ribbons – for years as a child – maybe I'll try again now! I well remember the pleasure of requesting my hairstyle from my mum in the morning – bunches, plaits, 'palm tree' (one bunch on the top of head) or pony tail.(And Joelle – interesting, as pigtails to me means two plaits.)

9. Laura says:

My daughter had all her hair cut into a bob in September so is unable to partake in our 'bobble box'. She is slowly growing it again though so I'd better get practising … I can never get it to look neat, her hair always looks like the 2 year old has done it for her.I agree with Nappy Valley – pigtails = 2 plaits.

10. Laura says:

11. ♥spoiled momm says:

Aww-thats adorable!hair fun is girlie…haha! 😉

12. ♥spoiled momm says:

Aww-thats adorable!hair fun is girlie…haha! 😉

13. Secret Mom Thoughts says:

Very cute. I can't get my daughter to wear her hair in pigtails either.

14. Secret Mom Thoughts says:

Very cute. I can't get my daughter to wear her hair in pigtails either.

15. Rona's Home Pag says:

How cute!I feel a scrapbook moment coming on. Happy WW!

16. Rona's Home Pag says:

How cute!I feel a scrapbook moment coming on. Happy WW!

17. CK Lunchbox says:

when I'm getting the girls ready for school I have a hell of time putting those things in. Usually I rip out about two handfuls of hair in the process. I'd rather send them in the Batman mask. Roger Roger.

18. CK Lunchbox says:

19. Pam says:

This post is so funny. I love the part where she put on the batman mask.

20. Jeanette "Frogs says:

Very cute! My daughter was the same way until she hit about 2 1/2. Now she can't get enough of pretty hair things, princesses, etc. I love it!

21. Jeanette "Frogs says:

22. Upstatemomof3 says:

I have no doubt that Baby Sister will be like that when she is old enough to express an opinion on what she is wearing. 🙂 Of course I was all girl at that age – but I wore jellies (does anyone remember those) with socks. So, who am I to talk?

23. Upstatemomof3 says:

24. Elsie Button says:

i love the fact she removed them so that she could get her batman mask on!

25. Elsie Button says:

i love the fact she removed them so that she could get her batman mask on!

26. Cute! I love the part about the Batman mask, too.

27. Cute! I love the part about the Batman mask, too.

28. Mia's Mama says:

super sweet

29. Mia's Mama says:

super sweet

30. Shynea @ Penny Pinch says:

Those are the cutest ponytails eva!

31. Shynea @ Penny Pinch says:

Those are the cutest ponytails eva!

32. Avlor says:

Aww. Pigtails rock. "A hairstyle consisting of two ponytails instead of one is fun, stylish, cute, and sometimes even sexy." – (Pigtails) So go and wear those pigtails/bunches with pride, Tara. 😉

33. Patricia says:

3 daughters 29,25,22 and none would wear bunches, now the 22 year old only wears designer jeans and boots and dresses to the "9"s and wears the logo's proudly…The other two like to dress up, one Ca. hiker casual and the other jeans for the office – efficient….the 22 year old has had tons of boyfriends, most we wished would go away – one we made the courts make go away. You have to be careful on this one at an early age. Develop style and confidence in dress, and ability to know what to wear when, but don't press your needs and wants on her…They really need to do their own thing. (Oh yes the 29 year old used to never go out without a hat on – at 2-4 She wore a pair of her Dad's red "jockey" underwear on her head with a run in it. My nephew wore a used Kentucky Fried Chicken bucket on his head…we made quite a traveling, styling team!)

34. Patricia says:

35. Melanie says:

My daughter was a girly girl in a house with 4 males and a mum who only wore doc martins and jeans. I dressed her in pink, she adored leapard skin stuff(omg)and she had more make up than i had power tools. Then at 14 she went goth/emo/punk/weird/teenager/angsty and all of her dresses went on eBay. They are never constant and full of wierd surprises…..Bunches at 40 sounds too cute, dont ever stop.

36. Melanie says:

37. DCUrbanDad says:

I am with Heinous. But those pigtails are cute.

38. 1stopmom says:

My little girl is a girly girl tomboy. She wears heels and dresses while sword fighting with her brother.

39. 1stopmom says:

40. tara @ kidz says:

OH her hair looks so cute!

41. tara @ kidz says:

OH her hair looks so cute!

42. Turf Dad says:

Mine sometimes goes for one poneytail but two pigtails means Pippy Longstockings comments. WE don't like P.L. comments.

43. Turf Dad says:

44. Christina says:

Our girls may be very similar in some ways, but this is one area where they differ. Nadia is ALL girl, ALL about princesses, ALL about dresses. But, oddly enough, she is not into having her hair done.

45. Christina says:

46. Tony says:

haha – my niece is the same way. She fights like a boy and runs like a boy. She did just recently discovered the Princesses when one of my friend's daughters dressed up as one. My niece dressed up too and was ok until my nephew said she looked like a girl. She took off her princess shoes, ran after him and punched him in the face. I don't think most princess do that, do they?

47. Tony says:

48. I like her little "bunches" (we call them pigtails or ponytails). Whatever you call them, they're adorable!

49. I like her little "bunches" (we call them pigtails or ponytails). Whatever you call them, they're adorable!

50. Yaya says:

Awww! Nothing like some "piggies"!

51. kirsty815 says:

Our Meggers isn't really a princess buff either, she'd much rather get in a batgirl, pirate, or supergirl costume. It suits me just fine as I'd much rather see her a strong, confident superhero than a helpless princess awaiting her prince.lol Very cute bunches!

52. kirsty815 says: