Obsessed

DSC_01591

Forgive my lack of posting, but Santa very kindly brought this family a Wii for Christmas and we’ve hardly left the comfort of our lounge – especially as he was kind enough to have it all set up and running for us from the moment we entered the room!

I have always been a bit reluctant to bring computer games into the house – especially with the children being so young.

But this thing is a ruddy marvel.

On Christmas evening the whole family joined in a game of bowling.
Our 16-year-old nephew who usually sits and grunts in the corner, was playing with his mum: The mum he barely speaks to.

Grandma was there in her slippers knocking down strike after strike and even grandad, who is usually asleep by the time the clock crawls around to 6, was there giving it his all.
Of course, our 6-year-old thrashed the lot of us, but once we’d locked him in his room and banned him from ever joining in again, we were on a roll!

Will post again when we manage to crawl away from the tennis . . .

This entry was posted in Christmas, Family Life. Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Obsessed

1. Sparx says:

Ha! We got a wii too and… ahem… aren't they brilliant? I feel the need to hang my head in shame but we've been playing all week and our two-year-old is gamely having a go too!

2. Sparx says:

3. Laura says:

I am sooo there with you. The Wii may have changed our life. The kids love it, I love it and my husband – well … you'll have to read my latest blog piece <a href="http://arewenearlythereyetmummy.blogspot.com/2008/12/cinderella-spilt-pheasant-stew.htmlhttp://arewenearlythereyetmummy.blogspot.com/2008… />Re Wii fit – my niece and nephew brought their's over on Xmas day. It was a good laugh – my fairly fit nearly 40 year old husband was given a fitness age of 62. He spent the rest of the day muttering about the settings being off. We didn't really go any further than a bit of jogging. On the other hand he played boxing on Wii Sports and worked up a right sweat!Yours addictedlyLaura x

4. Kool Aid says:

Oh man! I'm so jealous. *sigh* maybe next year Santa will bring one to me – oops, I mean us ;).

5. Kool Aid says:

6. Lance says:

Hey Tara,That was the gift that found its way to our house this year too! …and everyone IS drawn to it! The thing has been on almost the whole time since Christmas morn!!

7. Lance says:

8. that girl? says:

We Wii'd over at our friends house the other day and had great fun! I whooped Other Half's arse at bowling, getting four strikes in a row – oh the look on his face! I felt very proud until Small Child came along and only scored four points less than me on the next game! Have a great New Years!

9. that girl? says:

10. matthewdryden says:

Wii Fit can be fun. Don't forget to check out the online store to buy some old favorites.The new (and old) version of Dr. Mario is to die for.

11. Maternal Mirth says:

I have found anyone under 30 kicks tooshie at any and all video games.But the Wii and RockBand I have witness bring more than one family together regardless of age or skill …

12. Maternal Mirth says:

13. Love Wii which Santa also brought for us…..Auntie Ivy not at all happy with the character we created for her AT ALL. "I look like Peggy Mitchell" is all she said all Christmas Day.

14. Love Wii which Santa also brought for us…..Auntie Ivy not at all happy with the character we created for her AT ALL. "I look like Peggy Mitchell" is all she said all Christmas Day.

15. I bowled on a friend's Wii last weekend. I hate bowling in real life, yet it was fun on the Wii. We need one next year (Mr. Blue could play it then; he's not yet three this year, so he'd insist on trying and would get mad).

16. I bowled on a friend's Wii last weekend. I hate bowling in real life, yet it was fun on the Wii. We need one next year (Mr. Blue could play it then; he's not yet three this year, so he'd insist on trying and would get mad).

In the words of That Girl, it seems we're Wiiing all over the world this Christmas.@Sparx: Don't hang your head in shame. Let us stand tall and proud together and then maybe no one will notice that we haven't managed to crawl out of the lounge in a week.I've even made a cup of tea with the controller still strapped to my wrist so no one could take my go!@Laura: You really have fallen hook line and sinker too! I would pay money for pix of your hubby doing the Guitar Hero thing!@Kool Aid: Hubby and I both gave up any presents this year and the children just had stocking fillers really so we could buy it. But I have to say, it's been worth every penny so far. Especially seeing my 6 year old boy thrash his dad at boxing! @Lance: Wii is taking over the world! I'm glad it's not just us who have been sucked in by it's killer traction beam.@That girl: Trust you to lower the tone!Feels bloody great to give your other half a good thrashing, however my hubster is bloody brilliant at the tennis and i NEVER win. I need to sneak in a few secret practise sessions when he's not looking. @Matthew: I'm there! I have absolutely no idea what we should buy for it, so these bits of advice are invaluable. Thank you.@Maternal Mirth: So very true about the under 30s kicking ass on computer games (although it feels more like under 10s to me!), but that doesn't mean have to mean I like it . . .But you are absolutely right about it bringing families together. I really wouldn't have believed it unless I had seem it for myself. My mother-in-law keeps making excuses to come visit all t he time now! @Nunhead Mum: Santa has been so good to us all this year! And those character creaters are fab! As much fun as the games at times! @Hairline Fracture: My daughter is just 3 and she's a bit too young for it. She'll have a go, but she's not really that bothered and she doesn't do that 'wow, this is amazing' thing, so she's banned until she really appreciates it!

19. Christina says:

Welcome to the club! We got a Wii for Christmas last year, and have been obsessed ever since. This year hubby got Guitar Hero – now that is fun!!! I also won Wii Fit in a contest, and it is awesome. I would totally reccomend it.

20. Christina says:

21. SabrinaT says:

We love our Wii. I am still on the waiting list for a Wii Fit, but I hear it is great!

22. SabrinaT says:

23. Tony says:

my nephew has a birthday on Jan 12 and I found a Wii and got it for him for his birthday. I didn't want to give it to him for Christmas because I have three other nephews and nieces and couldn't give them all a Wii – I can't wait to open it and start playing it…I mean for him to open it and start playing it…yeah, that's what I meant

24. Tony says:

25. That Santa is so thoughtful! Have you figured out yet that you can throw the bowling ball backwards and hit the wii people? It's pretty funny!Happy New Year!

26. That Santa is so thoughtful! Have you figured out yet that you can throw the bowling ball backwards and hit the wii people? It's pretty funny!Happy New Year!

27. Adrenalynn says:

Tara, I just found the Best. Game. Ever. For Wii! We played it last night for hours and hours. It's called Raving Rabbids TV Party and it RULES! It's a lot of fun for both adults and kids, and you break a sweat in no time. Also, your arms hurt like crazy the day after. Ouch.Anyway, there's an insane variety of stuff to do with your crazy characters, but I loved the dancing and playing instruments in a band with the other players. You can either play against each other or individually. It's the best time I've had with the Wii yet!!Happy New Year 🙂

28. Adrenalynn says:

29. GoneBackSouth says:

Hi Tara! I heard on the blogvine that you've moved blog. I wish you a happy new year!GBS x

30. GoneBackSouth says:

31. Father Christmas brought us a Wii Fit but I (embarrassingly) have not used it as much as intended, preferring some outdoor walks instead. My profile has been set and my Wii Fit age is 6 yrs older than I am, which apparently is quite good?? I've had a few go's but intend to make it a regular thing when the kids go back to school and there is less fighting over whose turn it is! I'll keep you informed."Happy New Year"

32. Father Christmas brought us a Wii Fit but I (embarrassingly) have not used it as much as intended, preferring some outdoor walks instead. My profile has been set and my Wii Fit age is 6 yrs older than I am, which apparently is quite good?? I've had a few go's but intend to make it a regular thing when the kids go back to school and there is less fighting over whose turn it is! I'll keep you informed."Happy New Year"

@Christina: It does feel a bit like a club doesn't it? I feel like I'm 'in' now – and I've never been in in all my 40 years!@Sabrina: Welcome, it's great to have you here. And, errr, waiting list? There is a waiting list? That just makes me think I really should have it . . . I am a marketing man's dream!@Tony: You're one generous uncle Tony. Did you also buy them things like a fully working lightsabre and the entire collection of Marvel comics in the past?@Stiletto Mom: Brilliant. I am going to give that a go and show my son how cool mum is for 'inventing' such a great idea.Thanks Stiletto Mom. @Adrenalynn: Oo more great recommendation. Excellent. @GoneBackSouth: Yes, here I am and it's great to have you here.Happy new year to you too.

@Adventure Mummy: Good for you for opting for the great outdoors instead of the Wii. It can be just too tempting to sit in the warm and bowl!We took to the hills in the frosty cold air today and it was just brilliant. When you said your Wii Fit age was: 6 years old, I thought OH MY GOD, who is this superfit woman. Then you said '6 years older than I am, and I breathed the biggest sigh of relief!Happy Wiiing!

37. Tony says:

we have lightsabers, oh man, do we have lightsabers and we use them too.

38. Tony says:

we have lightsabers, oh man, do we have lightsabers and we use them too.

39. Leah says:

We have Wii Fit and we really like it. Dropping in from SITS.

40. Leah says:

We have Wii Fit and we really like it. Dropping in from SITS.

41. We got one too and my six year old strangely is the master of bowling too. I am going to post my review of wii fit this week. I also think I am going to join your blog to fit group. Now you can harass me if I don't. ; )

42. We got one too and my six year old strangely is the master of bowling too. I am going to post my review of wii fit this week. I also think I am going to join your blog to fit group. Now you can harass me if I don't. ; )

That's just brilliant WHM – both the Wii and the joining Blog to Fit. We welcome you in to our warm and friendly bossom!