Hair today, gone tomorrow.

(Originally posted April 7, 2008)

hat1

Most parents think their child is naughtier/cheekier/more troublesome than everyone elses’.
My little girl has just confirmed my assertion that had she come along first we may never have had a second child.

Tonight – while hubby and I thought she was asleep and as we sit in innocent bliss engrossed in an episode of Heroes – she cut huge chunks out of her hair.
I mean CHUNKS. She now looks like a victim of scabies or like she has a dreadful disease. Or like she’s had an argument with an angry lawnmower.

Oh, I know it’s only hair but I just wanted to cry.
She looks like my Girl’s World doll when I’d had enough of her and hacked all her locks off in fit of boredom.

Hubby made it a hundred times worse. “It’s only hair,” he said.
Then he felt a bit braver and said: “She looks a bit like Max Wall. Anyway it will grow back.”

This is my baby girl we’re talking about. It’s taken her 2½ years to grow a short pixie do as it is, so ‘growing back’ could take until she’s slipping on her school uniform.

Oh my god, the school photos!

The poor thing is already mistaken for a boy if ever I deign not to dress her in pink or put bows in her hair. Which is, well, always.
Her brother’s hair grows faster than hers.

I know I’m being irrational and shouting at hubby won’t make it grow back and it is only hair blah blah blah. But I need a release – and I don’t drink and there is no chocolate in the house.
She may not have had much hair on her head to start with, but there were great swathes of the stuff littering her bedroom floor after her amateur hairdressing moment.
And she looked so damn proud of herself when I walked in.

Then she realised it propably wasn’t the best idea she’d ever had, so she says in her sing-songy I’m-as-cute-as-a-button voice “sorry mummy” with what little conviction she can muster before she skips off and is horrified, nay mortified (see how I feel now little girl?) to find there is cut hair all over her precious baby doll.
Well there’s no hair on MY baby now.

I’d post a picture but I was too traumatised to pick up the camera.

So is it a girl thing? Apparently I cut my hair when I was a young girl (and had a good go at my brother’s with a pair of paper scissors too, I’m told!)

This entry was posted in Dan & Mia. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Hair today, gone tomorrow.

1. Dave says:

Ooo I can understand why you feel the way you do. My eldest boy regularly takes lumps off of his fringe. I just don't care naymore. If he wants to look like Herman Munster that's his problem.LMAO @ the Max Wall reference. I use that quite a bit and no one knows what the hell I'm talking about.

2. Dave says:

3. Kool Aid says:

I can't imagine Monkey doing something like that. Thank goodness she hasn't because I would be so traumatized, too.But really, now, "no chocolate in the house"? That must be remedied immediately. How will you survive the next big trauma?

4. Kool Aid says:

5. Potty Mummy says:

Sounds like you're serious about this weight loss with no chocolate in the house. The only outlet I can suggest then is going to the gym and running the frustration out… And no, never did the haircut thing but only because my cruel parents always kept my hair short (apparantly whenever it grew I became tired and listless, a kind of opposite Sampson effect…).

6. Potty Mummy says:

@Dave: But she's a GIRL. If my son had done it I would have buzzed it all off and given him a trendy crop.Not so good on a lass.@Kool Aid: No chocolate in the house is the new me. I'm Blogging to Fitting and the dark stuff can no longer darken my door!@Potty Mummy: Hubby suggests I need a punchbag to vent my frustrations but I say why spend good money on something I can use him for instead!

9. GreenJello says:

All my girls did it at least once. Some more than once.Lu was the worst– she cut her bangs completely back past the hairline. It took over a YEAR for them to grow long enough to look like bangs again.

10. GreenJello says:

11. Sal says:

And that, my friend, is the reason we keep ALL sissors and sharp objects on top of the fridge or locked in a drawer that is higher than our son and daughter can physically reach. 🙂

12. Sal says:

13. Jen says:

I would be super traumatized too. And what is that with boys hair growing faster than the girls. It is the same way here.

14. Jen says:

15. CK Lunchbox says:

This is a milestone I'm guessing? Both girls here have already done it – they looked like punk rock chicks from the 80's. My boys on the other hand, there heads are buzz cut all the time like they belong to a Texas polygamist sect. I have no say in the matter.

16. CK Lunchbox says:

17. that girl? says:

eekk! I'd be gutted too! I don't think I ever did it but my mother used to hack at my fringe and I used to think it looked awful! I bet it's the first and last time she'll ever do it though! Just save some photos for the 18th as revenge!

18. that girl? says:

19. Tony says:

I have a three year old niece and a five year old nephew – my niece hasn't done this yet but my nephew has. Well, he cut his sister's hair and then while I was sitting at the computer he came up behind me and took a chunk out my hair.

20. Tony says:

21. It could be worse – she could have stuck a bead up her nose to see it it fit. But that would be silly, wouldn't it? No-one would do that sort of thing, would they?

22. It could be worse – she could have stuck a bead up her nose to see it it fit. But that would be silly, wouldn't it? No-one would do that sort of thing, would they?

23. Christina says:

I am getting the shakes just thinking about it, because I know I'd be feeling the exact same way if it were MY girl's heair hacked off. It's taken this long to grow a decent head of hair the first time around!! Why do boys always get the hair? Oooh Mia, bad move m'dear! But, I have to admit I've got a little bit of "haha, better you than me" going on!

24. Christina says:

@GreenJello: Some of your girls cut their hair more than once? Yikes, how can you be so calm about it!@Sal: And that is why the scissors are now LOCKED away. She actually dragged her toy box to my tall boy, climbed on top and found the blunt scissors I use to cut tags off new clothes. All this in the dark. She's nothing if not determined!@Jen: My son's hair is now actually longer than hers. They've had some sort of swap around! @CK: My son had a buzz cut for ages then suddenly said he wanted it long 'like Doctor Who' and now he won't let anyone near him with the scissors. I just hope his sister doesn't get any ideas!@That girl: I'm glad it's not just me overreacting. Hubby thinks I'm nuts going all hyper over a 'little trim'. Sheesh.@Tony: Crikey, thems some brave kids, hacking at uncle's hair from behind. Be careful if you are ever asleep in their company. @Footballers Knees: Tee hee. I have a friend whose son put a rubber from the end of a pencil up his nose and they only found out when it started to really smell. Euw!@Christina: Listen to aunti Christina Mia, she knows what she's talking about. Seriously, she got to 2 and I didn't think her hair would ever grow. I was WILLING it to sprout!

27. Mom/Mum says:

Ooouch – i feel your pain! My friends son did that to his little sister – TWICE playing 'hairdressers'. She and her daughter weeped many tears…Stories like this is why I keep all scissors way up high and very out of reach from little hands.

28. Mom/Mum says:

29. PLease, Please, Please post a pic. Surely it can't be THAT bad???

30. PLease, Please, Please post a pic. Surely it can't be THAT bad???

31. Tiffany says:

I'm over from SITS. Hi.And OMG I had this exact same experience… well, sort of. You see, last February my then 6 year old boy cut off my 3 year old princess' hair – ALL OF IT. TO THE SCALP in places. He'd just gotten his cut the night before and felt she definitely needed a trim too. Oh, did I mention he did this while they were in the bath… getting ready to go to my sister's engagement party! I had to take her into the hairdresser and she ended up looking like her older brother's twin. Identical very short, very boy haircuts. I cried. A year later and I was still crying. Her hair did finally grow out, but I was seriously traumatized by it. I have handled serious injury and illness better. What is it about our little girls' hair that sends us over the edge like that?!

32. Tiffany says: