Hair today, gone tommorrow: The update

(Originally posted April 11, 2008)

After hacking off great chunks of her own hair my beautiful little girl looks like I’ve subjected her to electric shock treatment.
No amount of teasing of hair, fistfuls of gel or pretty little clips make it look any better.
She looks . . . wierd.

I raced to the hairdresser the evening after The Incident hoping they could work some magic and stop it looking so damn angry.
But no. As I walked in the door the shocked hairdresser declared: “Dear God, I’ve not seen one this bad before. There’s not really a lot we can do to be honest.”
Because yes, that is exactly what I wanted to hear.

In the end I just left the salon a little poorer and with Daniel looking like Doctor Who (he demanded he should ‘have a go’ in the hairdressers hands too, like it was some kind of fairground ride).
Dan thinks Mia’s hair is the funniest thing he’s ever seen and Daddy insists she looks ‘kinda quirky’.
I bought her a cute hat which she looked at with distain and declared “I’m not wearing THAT” with all emphasis on the ‘that’ like it was made from dirty rags and hadn’t cost me A LOT OF MONEY.

As suggested by nearly everyone I’ve bored with this story, I have now taken many many photos of her first foray into hairdressing to embarass her in years to come.

This entry was posted in Dan & Mia. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Hair today, gone tommorrow: The update

1. CK Lunchbox says:

bald wasn't a bad look for natalie portmen in the movie V. Maybe you shouldn't listen to me. I once convinced my 12 year sister to shave the hair off her upper lip… she cursed me a few years ago for the wax job she finally broke down and got. On the plus side, she had a better looking mustache than most men… ya, ignore me

2. CK Lunchbox says:

3. She was probably just expressing her individuality. Can you not just….gel it all together and stick a slide in it somewhere?

4. She was probably just expressing her individuality. Can you not just….gel it all together and stick a slide in it somewhere?

@CK: WHAT are you trying to do? Aren't you supposed to be in hiding or something. (Tsk, bloody men!)@Nunhead Mum: There is nothing to gel. She scalped herself in three patches on the top on her head and I'll be lucky if I can shampoo it let alone gel it!

7. notSupermum says:

Aha, there you are! Sorry it's taken me so long to find your new blog….The incident with your child's hair reminds me of that Yellow Pages ad with James Nesbitt where he tries to cut his neices hair and then takes her to the hairdresser to get is 'fixed'.

8. notSupermum says:

9. that girl? says:

Oh Tara – sorry they couldn't turn it into something quirky/trendy. Just keep thinking that when she berates you for those photos in years to come you can be smug and say well I told you you shouldn't have done it. A bit like MM said when I did the Annie Lennox look aged 18 – bloody bleach burns the scalp!

10. that girl? says:

11. Vodka Mom says:

Ah, I KNEW i could find you. I was a private investigator once, did I tell you that? I have TONS of great secrets. All my kids have done horrendous things to their hair- and usually right before picture day. jesus.

12. Vodka Mom says:

13. Christina says:

That's pretty bad when even the hair stylist daus that! I suppose you're not going to share a picture with us??

14. Christina says:

15. Blogger Dad says:

So, when do we get to see pictures?I think a good way for you to make her feel better is to chop your own hair in a similar fashion. 🙂

16. Blogger Dad says:

17. MoziEsmé says:

Sounds like quite the style!

18. MoziEsmé says:

Sounds like quite the style!

19. Sounds as if Mia herself isn't too bothered about it so I wouldn't worry! I never did that, but did like chopping off my Sindy dolls' hair when I was little, and making them into 'punks'….

20. Sounds as if Mia herself isn't too bothered about it so I wouldn't worry! I never did that, but did like chopping off my Sindy dolls' hair when I was little, and making them into 'punks'….

21. GreenJello says:

If you post pics of your little girl, I'll dig up and post some pics of my worst haircutter, too. 🙂

22. GreenJello says: